Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Cut Pro X

Options
  • 29-10-2012 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Really want to purchase this.....

Can peeps in the know advise me please about it ???

Is it the best out there ??

Its pricey enough and to make sure before I go ahead

Yes I edit vids all the time and need something professional

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

simple answer is yes. most bang for your buck. and used professionally

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Just check what graphics you have on your Mac.
    Its a fussy one.
    I think it'll block you from buying it if your graphics requirements are not met.

IM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    - Is it the best out there ??
    - Its pricey enough and to make sure before I go ahead
    - Yes I edit vids all the time and need something professional

to answer your questions: No it's not the best, best is subjective to your needs. It's one of the most modern, designed for digital without any of the legacy features that evolved from film editing

It's not pricey at all relative to professional editing software. You may also need to buy Motion and Compressor plus any plugins too

If you edit videos professionally al the time, you should know if you like track based video editing, or do you want to try a whole new way of editing with the magnetic timeline style of FCPX

I've used the original Final Cut and now I'm learning FCPX. I like it, but there's lots of learning to do, but lots of potentially time saving tricks it has. I'm using it on a Core 2, 2009, 8GB RAM, and it's very sluggish, it's really designed for very fast systems with lots of hard drive space, lots of processing power and RAM, plus a big monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

I have the Retina Display Mac so Im persuming the processing power & RAM are ok.
    I read somewhere that it outputs only in 1 format ?? Is that correct ?? DO I need a converter ???

What plugins do I need ??

the retina mac will be good for processor and RAM, you may like to use an additional second monitor as 15" isn't ideal for video editing as i'm sure you know

no video editing software outputs in 1 format, final cut pro offers several options, adding Compressor to your Mac, adds lots more options: read more: http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verf3fd3f4b

as regards plugins, what do you use now? more info on plugins at: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/resources/plugins.html

Also, it's available as a 30 day trial, why not download and see if you prefer it over your current professional editing workflow?

• Advertisement

Ok was recently talking to a friend and he told me I was mad wanting to purchase final cut pro and should just get Photoshop Elements as it does the same thing but cheaper >???

Can anyone out there tell me the differences ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Photoshop elements is image editing software. Final cut is Movie editing Software, Nuff Said?

Your friend does not know what he is talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yes your friend is confused, Adobe's version would be premiere http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere.html and would be €700 or more for full version, but they also have a subscription model

Photoshop elements 10 does video editing ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've used this under Ubuntu and found it quite good ! Lot's of pro effects and plenty of output options. Worth a shot ?! Oh . . it's free too !

KDEN LIVE

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Photoshop elements 10 does video editing ???

Adobe Premier Elements does video editing, dont think Photoshop Elements does, only the pack which includes premiere elements which is about €130/140 I think. On their own they are about €70.

I would imagine the Elements software would be more comparable with iMovie than Final Cut but I have not used premiere elements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Most pros prefer Final Cut Pro 7 [Studio] to FCP X which is really aimed at the consumer market. Premier Pro and Avid are also used.

It really depends what you want to spend and what you need to do.

Either way i would not go for FCP X just yet as I think it's due a revamp... so maybe wait a few months.

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Either way i would not go for FCP X just yet as I think it's due a revamp... so maybe wait a few months.

it's not due a revamp, it's just had another incremental update, and that's what it will keep getting little additions. But the kind of updates it's getting won't help someone who doesn't know the difference between photoshop and premiere.

To the original poster: what software do you use now, what limitations do you encounter with it, what do you shoot with, what kind of video are you producing?

I Use Sony Vegas on PC
    Ive only recently bought MBP Retina and seen Final Cut Pro X was the way to go until I asked here and have been gettin mixed reviews so Ive enquired further!!! (Id have bought FCPX by now if I didnt ask here!!! lol )

simply download the 30 day trial of final cut pro, run through some tutorials about it's new magnetic timeline and decide for yourself, risk free: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

DotOrg wrote: »
    it's not due a revamp, it's just had another incremental update, and that's what it will keep getting little additions.

So does it now have dual monitor support?

it's had dual monitor support for a while, i've been using it with two monitors for ages

i's not the same as final cut pro 7, where each element was separate and could be dragged across multiple monitors, it works in a slightly different way where events or the main viewer get placed in the second monitor, tools are more fixed in position

Advertisement