Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Unit Rates??

Options
  • 28-10-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everyone.

I've done a bit of searching and asking around about the rates on a unit and how you're charged on them. Myself and a friend of mine are car enthusiasts and we have found a unit we want to rent thats €3600 for rates alone.

We purely want the unit for car storage and our friends will be storing cars there too over the winter. Anybody know if the rates will apply to us for just storing our cars there? Or better yet a way to get out of paying it please as we wont be making any money off the unit.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

You can request a reevaluation by the valuations office http://www.valoff.ie/ but as rates are based on the valuation of the commercial property rather than profitability you may have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

You can request a reevaluation by the valuations office http://www.valoff.ie/ but as rates are based on the valuation of the commercial property rather than profitability you may have an issue.

I thought it was the other way around? Valuations are based on profitability? I may be wrong.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    I thought it was the other way around? Valuations are based on profitability? I may be wrong.

It's based on market rent, if a person was making no profit that does not take away from its market rent. In other words if you decide to rent a building for a market rent but wish not to make a profit then tough. If on the other hand the market rent has dropped due to profitability in the area of business then rates would drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Turbobudz

Thanks very much for the input people. I didnt want to sound cheap or seem to "ride" the system, I just hoped there was some chance it didnt apply to us.

I was talking to an "friend" of mine the other that has a 7000sq foot unit and he reckons if you have some sort of a club and can prove its non-profitable they can really charge you.

I'm not sure if i believe him so i hope that someone else can clear it up.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A lot of clubs are set up as charitable organisations. Land or buildings which are occupied by charitable organisations, and used exclusively for charitable purposes, are exempt from rates.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A lot of clubs are set up as charitable organisations. Land or buildings which are occupied by charitable organisations, and used exclusively for charitable purposes, are exempt from rates.

so how do i go about registering the club?

Turbobudz wrote: »
    so how do i go about registering the club?

It's a charity not a club, I would doubt that a car club for friends and family would get charity status but info here http://www.mhc.ie/publications/item/396/charities-and-exemption-from-local-authority-rates/

Advertisement