Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gathering 2013

Options
  • 28-10-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I'm posting this in the economy forum since I think the idea is to bring some money into the country, but if it's in the wrong place, I apologise.

I want to organise a gathering for the Gathering, but what I'm wondering is, is there a special visa for relatives who are outside the EU?

I looked on the site and couldn't find anything about this. Maybe I'll have to ring Foreign Affairs, but I'm hoping someone here will know first.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good on you.

I would love to do something myself but I am just wondering if its going to be made easy to get friends and family back for it, or will we do it like usual, and made it harder and more expensive.

Increased flight and ferry prices next year anyone? Increased hotel prices? Cash in on the Gathering cash cow and kill it? It would be like something we'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Oh, NIMAN, I hope that doesn't turn out to be true! It would be embarrassing to say the least. Or are the government going to subsidise these trips even a little?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

virino wrote: »
    Oh, NIMAN, I hope that doesn't turn out to be true! It would be embarrassing to say the least. Or are the government going to subsidise these trips even a little?

If they are non EU then they will need the appropriate visas to get into the country.

Thank you, Stheno. Would they be visiting family visas or tourist visas, would you have any idea?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thank you, Stheno. Would they be visiting family visas or tourist visas, would you have any idea?

Look it up on citizens information of dept of foreign affairs?

They vary depending on the country?

• Advertisement

Thank you again, I did, but The Gathering isn't mentioned. I would like to be able to give advice on this to my invitees. Never mind, I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and phone Foreign Affairs. There won't be much point to a Gathering, though, if they can't get a visa. I wonder how well this has been thought through by those who came up with the idea, or were they really meaning well-off Americans etc. only are welcome? The poster with the Viking lady said 'everyone' is invited. Perhaps not, after all :(

Thank you again, I did, but The Gathering isn't mentioned. I would like to be able to give advice on this to my invitees. Never mind, I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and phone Foreign Affairs. There won't be much point to a Gathering, though, if they can't get a visa. I wonder how well this has been thought through by those who came up with the idea, or were they really meaning well-off Americans etc. only are welcome? The poster with the Viking lady said 'everyone' is invited. Perhaps not, after all :(

For gods sake, it's pure cop on that if you want to attend something in a country that you have to meet normal travel criteria for, that's going to apply regardless.

Advise your attendees to ensure that they are familiar with the visa requirements for entering Ireland if they are not within the EU and point them to the relevant part of the Foreign affairs website.

You hardly thought there was going to be a blanket "come as you are" type attitude for this did you?

"As shure, I'm here for the gathering passport control, would ya not let me in even though I'm coming from "insert blacklisted country"

A bit of cop on wouldn't go wrong here.

Why don't you just contact the people organising the gathering?

Stheno, I'm sure you're doing your best to be helpful, although I don't think you'd get a job on the visiting committee, somehow.

If you read my first post you will note I did consult the relevant site.

I don't think anyone here will be able to help, so thanks anyway.

It might be a good idea, inviting people to the country, but let's hope there will be classes for the citizenry here as to how to make their stay pleasant.

Stheno, I'm sure you're doing your best to be helpful, although I don't think you'd get a job on the visiting committee, somehow.

If you read my first post you will note I did consult the relevant site.

I don't think anyone here will be able to help, so thanks anyway.

It might be a good idea, inviting people to the country, but let's hope there will be classes for the citizenry here as to how to make their stay pleasant.

In fairness some of your questions were asinine.

Did you bother to hit the contact details of the gathering site to ask your questions?

And as for making their stay pleasant, that's nothing to do with those of us who live and work here. It's a promotion to get people to visit Ireland, their interaction with joe soap will be minimal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

...what I'm wondering is, is there a special visa for relatives who are outside the EU?
    MOD COMMENT:
    Please be advised that Irish Economy is not the appropriate forum for the discussion of visa requirements, etc. Your thread is being moved to Travel. It will be moved LOCKED in order that the Travel mods may review if for appropriateness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks Black Swan! Thread Re-opened in Travel :)

Welcome to Travel virino,

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I heard a suggestion that the govt should pay €200 towards the return airfare of anyone attending the gathering. payable after the return flight is taken.But only if the air fare was at or below x. X being the average normal airfare for that flight at that time of year. to stop airlines pocketing the €100 by increasing fares by it.
    or some other such measure to stop this happening.
    That money would easily be mad back by spending money.
    I imagine a family of five saving €1000 would be very interested in this.

Many thanks, Kerry, for the nice welcome. I've been on Boards a while but still haven't got the hang of finding the appropriate forum for some queries. MMAGirl, thanks very much to you too for the input.

Advertisement