Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do You Think Of Danny Brown?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Well, what do you all think of him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

This is all I have heard by him, not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I like him. His delivery is so weird.

His verse on this is my favourite in the whole song.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Honestly don't see the fuss. His XXX album was meant to be the best of last year. I've listened to it three or four times straight through and its barely decent, its a difficult listen tbh.

Couple of good verses here and there, otherwise he's pure hipster hype

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

I like when he guest appears on other peoples songs like above, but find it hard to listen to a full album of his, but in sayin that i still havent listened to black and brown and iv only heard good things about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

hes got a great verse on this

• Advertisement

LUPE wrote: »
    hipster

I don't think you know what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

I don't think you know what that means.

Go on then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

I get what LUPE means by hipster hype. A lot of hipsters do seem to like him thanks for pitchfork it seems.

This got me into him surprisingly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-92qAjbGDo

Started listening to his album on the drives to work and like it a lot now.

I find reading about albums can ruin them because articles often make them out to be something else.

Weird delivery but I think it works.

Yeah, I hardly ever read reviews of albums. It plants ideas in your mind of what the album is like or the kind of people who are into it and thus influences how you feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

True that Da Shins Kelly!

I find it the same when someone gives me music and swears it's 'the best' too.

Have you listened to much Danny Brown?

• Advertisement

narwhalthe wrote: »
    True that Da Shins Kelly!

I find it the same when someone gives me music and swears it's 'the best' too.

Have you listened to much Danny Brown?

I have listened to a good bit of his stuff. I like him. He's different anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I like him, he's released some quality stuff, although his music can be hard to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

he's pure hipster hype

I think this idea comes from the fact that a lot of his influences are from a electronic music background. Electronic trap is coming into the forefront of "hipster" scenes (soon to be more mainstream) at the moment.

I personally like his stuff, he's different and doesn't seem to care or want to change his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Listened to him for a while and enjoyed what I heard, ended up losing interest just like I did with jay electronica and Freddie Gibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Todd Umptious

I do like him, only heard of him at the start of the year through the xxl freshmen list and he stood out because he listed Dizzee Rascal as an influence, it just seemed funny for an american artist to include a uk artist. I saw an interview with Macklemore last weekend and he said how Danny Brown had got him into Dizzee aswell.:pac:

Ive listend to XXX and Detroit State of Mind 4 and while not classic material there is some highlights on there for me at least

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I quite like him, he can be a bit hit or miss, especially early on. But he seems to have a good run of consistency now.
    Some of his features steal the show, and I like the whole El-P, Das Racist, Mr MFN eXquire, Despot group thing that is going on.

The Black and Brown EP is pretty much great.

He recently released a new album with his 'group' called Bruiser Brigade, I didnt really care all that much for what i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

He's ousted MF Doom as my favourite rapper. XXX got a least a couple of hundred spins last year.

His delivery can be a bit hard to grasp initially but when his main influences are E-40 and Dizzee Rascal it starts to make more sense. In terms of bars and storytelling nobody can touch him at the moment. He's also got immaculate beat selection.

Pretty sure Bruiser Brigade only brought out an EP with a couple of tracks on it. I'd have high hopes for the album Chips and Dopehead are deadly. They've a new guy ZelooperZ and he potentially out weirds Danny.

You can label him as a hipster if you want but he's got a strong basis in independent Detroit boom bap hip hop. He was getting a lot of hype in non-hipstery indie rap circles a couple of years ago when Detroit State of Mind 4 and The Hybrid came out before Pitchfork latched on to him. I wouldn't argue he isn't courting that crowd of course but I think he does it because it comes naturally rather than in a cynical way. You could aim the same accusations at ASAP Rocky, Action Bronson or even Freddie Gibbs. Hipsters are the mainstream now. That's how Kendrick Lamar manages to sell 250k albums in a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

My impression of hipsters are the lads who wear the skin tight jeans and extra extra small tshirts I.e a Lil Wayne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FJamel

Danny Brown makes great music. Dude's flow and delivery is so unique. If you're a younger dude it might be hard to catch the **** he references, though.

The entire interview is jokes.

My impression of hipsters are the lads who wear the skin tight jeans and extra extra small tshirts I.e a Lil Wayne ?

Lil Wayne is about 5ft tall and 8 stone. He looks far less ridiculous in extra small than he did in in the XL white tee look previously. Danny Brown is part Filipino and I'd say much the same thing. The guy is like 9 stone max.

Look at the early NWA pics they're all wearing medium-ish and drainpipe jeans. In the black community the more gangster you are the more 'gay' you can dress and not have anybody try to kill you. That's why pimps wore all that crazy Rick Flair ****. The whole idea that being dressed a bit flamboyantly = the person being soft is a massive misconception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Honestly don't see the fuss. His XXX album was meant to be the best of last year. I've listened to it three or four times straight through and its barely decent, its a difficult listen tbh.

Couple of good verses here and there, otherwise he's pure hipster hype

Fact. A mate of mine tried to get me into him for months, finally sat down with him to listen through one of his albums (can't remember which) and it was dire, could only manage about half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shreddeez

I heard him on the freshman cypher and he didnt do much for me , but then i heard him as a feature on Lords never worry, and on a Pusha T track, and he wasnt too bad ? He's different from everyone else though that for sure

XXX won me over to him, his feature on Royalty piqued my interest enough to buy this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He's an absolute legend. 'Grown Up' was my favorite music video of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

he is by and large a very talented lyricist and is bringing alot of originality and uniqueness to todays hip hop which i respect him for...

great to see rap evolve again after years of stagnation

Dudes going all out on the Dizzee Rascal type stuff.
    https://soundcloud.com/xdannyxbrownx/trampy-featuring-danny-brown

Nice to see someone pick up on that buzz. His double time isn't quite as clean but the beat on that's bananas.

Advertisement