Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace

Options
  • 28-10-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Sorry for posting here. Not sure if this is correct.forum. Does anyome.know.the.standard.size.of.a fire grate ? Also what is reasonable price ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dad11 wrote: »
    Sorry for posting here. Not sure if this is correct.forum. Does anyome.know.the.standard.size.of.a fire grate ? Also what is reasonable price ?

You can get thm in 12inch,14 inch,16 inch and 18 inch sizes.

14 and 16 inch are the typical/usual sizes for most houses.

Expect to pay around 14-18 euro depending on size.

You will pick them up in any Builders Providers....Grange Builders Providers in Baldoyle are one of the cheapest for grates.

Dont buy from Woodies,unless you like to spend more than you need to.

14 inch grate

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Fire-Grate-14/11544/3.5.13

16 inch grate

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/16-Fire-Grate/9953/3.5.13

PS-Take a measuruing tape and measure the width of the back of the existing grate and also the front it it too.Then you will know what size you need

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Thank you for good reply! ;-)

paddy147 wrote: »

You can get thm in 12inch,14 inch,16 inch and 18 inch sizes.

14 and 16 inch are the typical/usual sizes for most houses.

Expect to pay around 14-18 euro depending on size.

You will pick them up in any Builders Providers....Grange Builders Providers in Baldoyle are one of the cheapest for grates.

Dont buy from Woodies,unless you like to spend more than you need to.

14 inch grate

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Fire-Grate-14/11544/3.5.13

16 inch grate

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/16-Fire-Grate/9953/3.5.13

PS-Take a measuruing tape and measure the width of the back of the existing grate and also the front it it too.Then you will know what size you need

I can't measure the width of the back of the existing grate as I dont have one do I need to measure to width of the back of the.fireplace ?

Thank you for good reply! ;-)

I can't measure the width of the back of the existing grate as I dont have one do I need to measure to width of the back of the.fireplace ?
    Yes measure that at the narrowest point and get the next size grate down.

Is it a grate with legs? or is it one that is held by a ledge on both sides with removable irons in the middle?

• Advertisement

iT HAS LEGS THEY ALL HAVE LEGS ?

Is it a grate with legs? or is it one that is held by a ledge on both sides with removable irons in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

iT HAS LEGS THEY ALL HAVE LEGS ?
    If it is fitted to a back boiler then the grate can be just single bars or a 'legless' grate.

Ok thanks

If it is fitted to a back boiler then the grate can be just single bars or a 'legless' grate.

The grate will be used in a Fireplace with a back boiler so do I need a special type of grate?

The grate will be used in a Fireplace with a back boiler so do I need a special type of grate?

Get your I-Phone,camera phone or camera...take a pic of the fireplace and post it here.

Or else take the picture up with you to a builders providers and they will sell you a firegrate to suit.

Its more than likely just a normal 14 or 16 inch grate that I showed you in the links above.

This is a very quick,easy and simple thing to sort out and buy,so theres no need to get yourself in a mess or confused over it.

• Advertisement

Ok. Thanks!

Get your I-Phone,camera phone or camera...take a pic of the fireplace and post it here.

Or else take the picture up with you to a builders providers and they will sell you a firegrate to suit.

Its more than likely just a notmal 14 or 16 inch grate that I shoed you in the links above.

This is a very quick,easy and simple thing to sort out and buy,so theres no need to get yourself is a mess or confused over it.

So I went to builders merchants for grate and this.is what he showed me. Still not sure. See pic attached

Its more than likely just a normal 14 or 16 inch grate that I showed you in the links above.

This is a very quick,easy and simple thing to sort out and buy,so theres no need to get yourself in a mess or confused over it.

So I went to builders merchants for grate and this.is what he showed me. Still not sure. See pic attached

You got sorted then??:)

Think so. See Fireplace attached so should fit.

Did I get stung. I had to buy a grate and front piece. The grate comes with cast iron bars that are replaceable and it connects.to back boiler. I paid €63.

See pic of what i.bought

Did I get stung. I had to buy a grate and front piece. The grate comes with cast iron bars that are replaceable and it connects.to back boiler. I paid €63.

Advertisement