Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While we were asleep...

Options
  • 28-10-2012 11:51am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This creeped up quickly ! James Harden has been traded to the Rockets. The Thunder couldn't work out a deal so they were forced to deal him.

It's a big blow as he provided a boost off the bench but they got Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb in the deal. Gonna be interesting to see how the rotation works in OKC now. Also, I guess we now know that the Thunder chose Ibaka over Harden !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Harden got what he wanted, to be overpaid for being overrated.

Didn't think it would happen so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Harden got what he wanted, to be overpaid for being overrated.

Didn't think it would happen so early.

You literally stole my post. I think he's a good solid sixth-man, no more, no less... Harden thinks he's the second coming of Earl The Pearl Monroe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Madcon

Great long term move by OKC. Maxing out Harden would have been moronic. They're not quite as good this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Deserved to be traded for his god awful performances in the playoff final last season.

But seriously, agree with Pizzaman as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Looks like Durant was as surprised as the rest of us.

Don't like the trade, what they get back is more for the long term, Jeremy Lamb + picks (Kevin Martin's contract expires next year, so he's just a 1-year rental), but OKC are ready to win now.

Looks like I'm higher on Harden than others here, I do think he's worth a max-contract...most efficient scorer on the Thunder last season, could create his own shot, and the shooting-guard position is very thin in the league at the moment. Still only 23, so not even at his peak yet.

Maybe the Thunder didn't want to pay him the max-contract with their other big contracts, but they could've given it one more year. He's only a restricted free-agent next summer, so he still would've had trade value.

Just think when you're that close to a championship, you should go all-out for it. Who knows what things are gonna be like 3 or 4 years down the line when they start to see the fruits of Lamb & those picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What sort of contract is martin on I wonder, maybe freeing up cap space for free agency at the years end. Josh Smith anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Its unfair imo to call Harden a sixth man nothing more. In 31 mpg he scored 16.8 while shooting 49% last season. He will likely play between 38-40 mins per game this year. His shooting percentage is bound to drop off somewhat, but I think he can get up to about 22 points per game and shoot about 44% . He is imo top 10 shooting guards in the league and it is a good move for Houston.In the long term that pick from Toronto via Houston that OKC acquired will be big , especially give their record in past drafts. OKC will be good this year, but if they get that pick(maybe centre who can score down low) right, and J.Lamb develops into a great s.g than in maybe 2 years they will be serious contenders. This could be another OKC office masterstoke

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bit late posting on this as I've been crazy busy with work.

Yes Harden had a poor Finals but he has been a quality player since he entered the league and I wouldn't judge him on 5 poor games and a bench role in the Olympics. Guy was an All Star last year let's not forget.

Wouldn't have traded him just yet though. They could have waited until the All Star break to see how he was playing this season and then decide to either make one last run with him this season or roll the dice then and trade him. ESP as he's only costing 5.8m dollars this year.

37pts and 12 assists in his debut for the Rockets would suggest he's back on form - even if it was against the Pistons!

Advertisement