Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista SP link?

Options
  • 28-10-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a very good Dell Dimension desktop, old but good for what I need. Problem appears to be that I run it with XP service Pack 1 and am unable to use my Vodafone dongle in it because of this.

I know I must upgrade to at least Vista SP1? Is it that simple?? Can I download to a USB stick and transfer (as I cant download directly-no internet on it, bar dial up)

Where can I get Vista SP1 download link?

Any help welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

XP and Vista are different OSes and have different service packs, Vista SP1 will not work for XP and vice versa.

If you have XP the latest service pack is SP3

Vista latest is SP2 I think.

Do you have XP or Vista?
    You can find this out by right clicking on the My Computer icon and clicking Properties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you know someone with lots of broadband , visit them and download updates there, bring cookies or cake.

Updates can be downloaded to external harddrive / USB key using this
    www.wsusoffline.net/

If connecting to the interweb you need XP SP3 for security updates (warning it may be slower if you don't have enough RAM - check how much memory you have in system properties) You'll probably need another 65 updates on top of that.

To change OS is expensive. If you upgrade XP then the new windows license stays with the old PC so just not worth it unless there is something special about the machine IMHO (unless you are one of tiny number who bought a full retail copy of XP separate to the PC).

Advertisement