Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics and chemisty internships.

Options
  • 28-10-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm currently a second year chemical physics student in UCC. Course is challenging at times but I really enjoy it and I'm not doing too bad so far although it is still early days. I created this thread to try get some information on places that provide internships or work experience in the field as there isn't really any of that sort of stuff in the course and I would like to start exploring what sort of opportunities are out there. I'd also like to know what sort of grades are needed to get a spot somewhere and what sort of stuff would be involved. I know that'll vary from place to place, but if i could could hear from someone who has had some first hand experience that would be great! Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Make a list of all the companies you can find involved in chemistry or physics. Like the pharmaceuticals companies - food companies also have labs. And then just call them up.

And if you're lucky you'll get a good internship. If you're unlucky, you'll get a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

May be a bit late to respond but I'd advise you to go to the careers office and talk to them about it, as they'll have all the information on internships and placements. You could also talk to your lecturers about summer internships. Chemical physics is sought after by a few of the lecturers as "the students can do chemistry AND maths" (friends of mine in chem phys told me that this has actually been said by certain lecturers). You'd be surprised at what calculations some of the chem students struggle with because they simply forgot how to do them cause there is not maths in their courses..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Aoi wrote: »
    You could also talk to your lecturers about summer internships...
    By far the most rewarding route. The topic/module you find most interesting is probably one where you do best and may stand out ahead of your classmates. The module/course lecturer will then be able to suggest target companies. In some colleges you'll find annual (company name) internships, especially if linked to projects.

I took on a 4th project student who was looking for an industrial project last year after he spent the summer on a college placement in the US (with a Uni where an MOU already existed). This year, after finishing top of the class he's working on an industry funded PhD for me with a leading R&D Irish wing of a globally recognised chemical company.

To sum up: Plan your approach and have as many aces (awards, interests) as you can when you start looking.

Advertisement