Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Interference from 'pirate radio' stations

Options
  • 27-10-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

In the past I've sometimes seen interference on analogue tv from pirate radio stations overloading masthead amps etc.

Is the saorview digital terrestrial tv signal immune to this interference or can it cause picture breakup similar to what is seen on satellite tv during heavy rain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As radio is analogue and tv is now digital I don't see how one could interfere with the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What is a masthead amp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

thejuggler wrote: »
    In the past I've sometimes seen interference on analogue tv from pirate radio stations overloading masthead amps etc.

Is the saorview digital terrestrial tv signal immune to this interference or can it cause picture breakup similar to what is seen on satellite tv during heavy rain?

The 'interferance' normally arose due to a harmonic - it had a lot to do with the frequency eg a station on 96FM might have a harmonic on 192mhz ie TV Band.

An analogue signal will interfere with a digital signal on the same frequency.

Satellite signals are 'digital' .

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Masthead amplifiers are used in many domestic tv aerial installations to boost the strength of the received signal. Unfortunately it also boosts interference such as broadcast harmonics or overloading. Overloading would occur if you were located near a transmitter where the powerful signal would drown out other signals.

I was wondering if the digital DTT signal was immune to this sort of interference compared to the old analogue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

thejuggler wrote: »
    I was wondering if the digital DTT signal was immune to this sort of interference compared to the old analogue one.

No DTT would not be immune - noting on a positive the DTT TXs are generally higher power but conversely with digital its all or nothing - interferance will cause the loss of a signal as opposed to picture distortion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement