Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nursing plc to emt?

Options
  • 27-10-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am currently doing a fetac level 5 nursing studies course (inc. occupational first aid + patient moving & handling)

How would I progress from this course to an EMT course? (with a view to eventually training to become a paramedic if successful) are there any centers offering this course in munster? (besides the one in LCFE) if anyone has done one, what is the average cost of the course? I know the course in LCFE costs upwards of 4,000 but that incs. nursing studies as well.

thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

To do it privately, it would cost you €2,500 with no guarantee of a job at the end of it. Uness you move to the uk.

You will also need to the the EFR before the EMT.

My advise, do it through a voluntary organisation such as St johns ambulance, civil defense etc

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

EMTFlynn wrote: »
    To do it privately, it would cost you €2,500 with no guarantee of a job at the end of it. Uness you move to the uk.

My advise, do it through a voluntary organisation such as St johns ambulance, civil defense etc

You do not need the EFR before the EMT. You need no medial qualifications for EMT course.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

lplates wrote: »
    I am currently doing a fetac level 5 nursing studies course (inc. occupational first aid + patient moving & handling)

How would I progress from this course to an EMT course? (with a view to eventually training to become a paramedic if successful) are there any centers offering this course in munster? (besides the one in LCFE) if anyone has done one, what is the average cost of the course? I know the course in LCFE costs upwards of 4,000 but that incs. nursing studies as well.

thanks. smile.png

I think you should email PHECC and ask them. They are sound out on the phone and will help if they can. Perhaps you can do like what they do in the uk...APL(accredited prior learning).
    Maybe if you submit a portfolio of how you meet most/all of the EMT training hours, skills and placement, which I'm sure you'll meet most?
    They might let you just upskill in a few things you may be missing instead of dishing 2500 out. Just a guess on my end by the way..
    EMTFlynn wrote: »

DefenCe.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Every PHECC accredited institution must have an Recognition of Prior Learning Policy.

Contact the training providers listed on PHECC and ask them how your course fits into their RPL policy if at all and that sould bring down the cost / amount you need to do to get to sit your EMT exam

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

19hz wrote: »
    I think you should email PHECC and ask them. They are sound out on the phone and will help if they can. Perhaps you can do like what they do in the uk...APL(accredited prior learning).
    Maybe if you submit a portfolio of how you meet most/all of the EMT training hours, skills and placement, which I'm sure you'll meet most?
    They might let you just upskill in a few things you may be missing instead of dishing 2500 out. Just a guess on my end by the way..

DefenCe.

:(

Sorry about that :o

You don't need the EFR no, but it would be good to do it first.

Have a look at the phecc facebook page and you can pick out the people who paid for private courses, asking questions they should already know the answer to :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement