Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win7 to Win8

Options
  • 27-10-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Yay or Nay?

Getting a bit tired of 7 and 8 is only €15 to upgrade. Anyone got it done? Thoughts very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I upgraded yesterday. I'm not sure if I like it. The new interface seems really tacked on. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    Yay or Nay?

Getting a bit tired of 7 and 8 is only €15 to upgrade. Anyone got it done? Thoughts very much appreciated!

Where can you get €15 upgrade?
    From what I could find it's 29.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

CiniO wrote: »
    Where can you get €15 upgrade?
    From what I could find it's 29.99

Saw it on reddit, follow instructions from there.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/1266sb/os_windows_8_pro_upgrade_for_1499/

link to microsoft's site for us is http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IE

OK I've got 2 computers in front of me.
    One is laptop purchased 4 years ago with Vista 32bit on it. So I assume I'll have to fork out 29.99 to upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro, and I'll get only 32bit version as it's impossible to upgrade from 32bit vista to 64 bit windows 8... Am I right here?

I also have a desktop PC (build by myself) without any version of Windows on it. It's mostly running Linux. How much would I have to pay to get Windows 8 for this one and where can I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OK I've got 2 computers in front of me.
    One is laptop purchased 4 years ago with Vista 32bit on it. So I assume I'll have to fork out 29.99 to upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro, and I'll get only 32bit version as it's impossible to upgrade from 32bit vista to 64 bit windows 8... Am I right here?
    You can do a clean install (wipes everything on the PC) and install 64 bit
    I also have a desktop PC (build by myself) without any version of Windows on it. It's mostly running Linux. How much would I have to pay to get Windows 8 for this one and where can I get it?
    About ~€99 for the Windows 8 System Builder license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Overheal wrote: »
    You can do a clean install (wipes everything on the PC) and install 64 bit.

If you do a clean install you wont be able to activate Win 8 with the upgrade key (I learned this the hard way). It has to be installed over a previous installation of Windows.

Edit: It appears that some people can do a clean install with their upgrade key http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    Yay or Nay?

If you have a touchscreen device I'd say maybe - if you can get used to some of the limitations (see the Launch thread for more) - but if you're using a traditional keyboard and mouse I'd really suggest you skip it personally as it'll only frustrate you and offers nothing of real benefit/essential over Win 7

I do wonder why MS have made the pricing so cheap when this wasn't an issue for them with previous versions. One might think they worry it's the only way they'll shift it to people with decent hardware who aren't going to rush out and buy another machine now and who already own a tablet

Smart move or desperation in the face of a lot of negative feedback to the new interface from people who've tried it - not journalists writing embarrasingly obvious puff pieces about it

Either way, you decide :) ... but I'd keep that Win 7 restore CD handy just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Elysian wrote: »
    If you do a clean install you wont be able to activate Win 8 with the upgrade key (I learned this the hard way). It has to be installed over a previous installation of Windows.

Edit: It appears that some people can do a clean install with their upgrade key http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

I did a clean install on two PCs, booted from DVD and it worked no problem. One activated itself and for the other I had to use the work around in the link above but it is definitely possible to do a clean install.

As for the OS itself, it's better than I expected, certainly better than the preview I tried and there are a lot of good points. The metro UI isn't really user friendly for a non touchscreen PC but I guess you can get used to anything.

I have a Vista 64bit from MSDN. Can this be used as base for upgrading to windows 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Well , i followed the release of windows 8 and i don't like it. Twas running in a virtual box to get the feel for it and i have to say i look likes it was designed very poorly. There are many issues with it explained here along with some positives.

There is also problems with the upgrade as talked about On phoronix here.

I personally think it is Microsoft last chance to have any attempt at tablets and they are making a gamble by basically training people to use the metro interface on the work pc , desktop and laptop. then they buy the tablets and phones Beceuse it looks the same. And there the real money for Mircosoft. Tablets and smart phones have made billions -

(I hate tablets so this option is clearly bias btw)

Its a gamble alright . Only time will tell if it shall pay off for them.

The shiny colours and tablet look to my desktop is something i would not like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bpb101 wrote: »
    and they are making a gamble by basically training people to use the metro interface on the work pc , desktop and laptop. then they buy the tablets and phones Beceuse it looks the same.

(I hate tablets so this option is clearly bias btw)

Its a gamble alright . Only time will tell if it shall pay off for them.

The shiny colours and tablet look to my desktop is something i would not like
    Exactly the same can be said of Unity on Ubuntu.

Elysian wrote: »

Trick from link above works very well. Therefore it's all possible to make a clean install on empty disk.

I have a Vista 64bit from MSDN. Can this be used as base for upgrading to windows 8?

Just to answer myself if someone was interested - YES.
    It is possible to upgrade from MSDN version without any hassle.

I must admit I hate unity and still (I always had) prefer to use KDE.

But after being devoted linux user for last 14 years on my home PC (yes I started with RedHat5.0 to move to Slackware 3.6 on Linux kernel 2.0.34 afair and Gentoo afterwards) I pretty much dropped using Windows when Win98 was released and used windows since very occasionally, I must admit I really like the way Windows 8 works and looks, and it made Windows to come back to my PC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

A) i do know its not called metro anymore , just havent heard the new name.

B) unity is a gamble and some stats show it has pushed some users to mint.
    However, Linux allows and encourages you to change what you do not like. You can turn to gnome or kde or lxde.
    I was against the move at first , but they way gnome 3 was moving , i think it was the right option.I find it a lot more easier to navigate in.

They do have kubuntu and lubuntu which are very similar apart form the interface and a few programs.so the opion is there to change , which is not in windows 8

Advertisement