Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO Advise to ban e-cigs..........

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Because they are "like" cigarettes!.......See section 33:

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/75811/1/FCTC_COP5_13-en.pdf

Anyone seen this report before?
    33. It should be noted that ENDS are products resembling cigarettes and could therefore undermine the denormalization of tobacco use upheld by the WHO FCTC. One of the guiding principles of the guidelines for implementation of Article 12 (Education, communication, training and public awareness) is Norm change. It stipulates that it is “essential to change social, environmental and cultural norms and perceptions regarding the acceptability of the consumption of tobacco products, exposure to tobacco smoke ...”.1 Parties are therefore invited to consider that a ban of ENDS as already undertaken by some Parties would contribute to changing the social norms regarding the consumption of tobacco products.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

at least they did say it warranted more study.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I'm not a conspiracy nut or anything, but I still believe that there is awful large friction being caused by the tobacco companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Not the tobacco companies, the makers of nicotine replacement therapy. WHO are more likely to be listening to Phizer than Philip Morris.
    I can see where their coming from, they want to eliminate tobacco use completely and forever and anything that doesn't set the same goal is not acceptable to them. What they don't allow for is the concept that their goal is unachievable and removing the health threat of tobacco is a more realistic goal. The pharma companies are profiting from the way things are now (they know that it a never ending war) and lobbie to maintain the status quo.

Apart from places that need WHO funding dose anyone pay any attention to the W.H.O.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

tommy2bad wrote: »

Apart from places that need WHO funding dose anyone pay any attention to the W.H.O.?

Well, I've seen them live 4 times in 3 different decades.

Great band!

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Well, I've seen them live 4 times in 3 different decades.

Great band!

Different Band mate ... think it referrers to this one :P

BREAST-CANCER-PINK-GLOVE-DANCE.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement