Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White flashes in the sky

Options
  • 26-10-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I was out a while ago flying my plane when I noticed a flash in the corner of my eye and looked but seen nothing,a while later I spotted another flash and then another flash.The flashes looked like a camera flash and appeared around the same area of sky(West).

I thing I may have seen these flashes before but passed them off as planes.I have seen most objects in they sky iss, satellites, Chinese lanterns:D etc but cant think what these could be.I thought lightning first but the sky is crystal clear tonight.

Anybody any ideas what these could be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    I was out a while ago flying my plane when I noticed a flash in the corner of my eye and looked but seen nothing,a while later I spotted another flash and then another flash.The flashes looked like a camera flash and appeared around the same area of sky(West).

I thing I may have seen these flashes before but passed them off as planes.I have seen most objects in they sky iss, satellites, Chinese lanterns:D etc but cant think what these could be.I thought lightning first but the sky is crystal clear tonight.

Anybody any ideas what these could be ?
    where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I'm in Clare,any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭emo72

halloween is coming. fireworks in the distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You could check Heavens Above for your latitude and longitude and see if they were Iridium flares? (sunlight bouncing off solar panels on Iridium comms satellites). It will tell you what might have been expected...

emo72 wrote: »
    halloween is coming. fireworks in the distance?

Dont think so heard no bangs and didnt light the whole area of the sky.
    Prenderb wrote: »
    You could check Heavens Above for your latitude and longitude and see if they were Iridium flares? (sunlight bouncing off solar panels on Iridium comms satellites). It will tell you what might have been expected...

Cant get that to work,get a runtime error on iridium flares but everything else works :rolleyes: .Had a search there on Google and alot of reports like what I seen and and most replies seem to think its iridium flares so more than likely that's what I seen.

EditGot that heavens above link working but doesnt show any flares around that time...

• Advertisement

Was out again tonight to see could I see any meteors and spotted the flashing again in the same area as before.It lasted a few minutes and with a flash about every 30 seconds.Its really puzzling me about what it could be,I have googled this and all I get is ufo conspiracies,is there any logical answer to what this is?

I brought out my family to witness it aswell so im not seeing things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

it is the light from a lighthouse in the distance.

Was out again tonight to see could I see any meteors and spotted the flashing again in the same area as before.It lasted a few minutes and with a flash about every 30 seconds.Its really puzzling me about what it could be,I have googled this and all I get is ufo conspiracies,is there any logical answer to what this is?

I brought out my family to witness it aswell so im not seeing things :D
    what part of the country are you in?and what direction are you looking when you see them?

Rubecula wrote: »
    it is the light from a lighthouse in the distance.

No this is quiet high in the sky.
    Maudi wrote: »
    what part of the country are you in?and what direction are you looking when you see them?
    I'm in Clare,any ideas?
    ;)

It is a westerly direction,using stellarium it was roughly somewhere in the sky where the star vega is tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Iridium satelite or dead tumbling satelite

• Advertisement

No this is quiet high in the sky.

;)

It is a westerly direction,using stellarium it was roughly somewhere in the sky where the star vega is tonight
    down here we have had helicopters flying around (wicklow) at night time looking for cannabis grow houses..i was gonna suggest is it something like that you are seeing from a distance?helicopter with light?from a distance....on any night i could look up and see star size..pin pricks of light tumbling overhead (space junk)....which describes better what you are seeing?and what did the family you showed think??m.

Advertisement