Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for playing avi on Apple TV?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I've been looking around and there seems to be a few ways to do this. I'm wondering what people would think would be the best/ easiest way to watch avi files from my MacBook on my Apple TV?
    Obviously if they're in iTunes format (mp4, m4v etc) AirPlay works a treat, so I'm thinking perhaps the best way would be to just get them all into iTunes.

Any other thoughts?

Up until now I've been using VLC, but unfortunately it doesn't support AirPlay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

What version of the Apple TV do you have?

You can jailbreak the Apple TV 2 and put xmbc or plex on it. Works well.

Does your laptop support AirPlay mirroring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

It's an AT3 unfortunately, and my laptop is too old!
    I did try AirParrot which sort of works, but isn't really good enough for watching films.
    Also tried a trial of AirVLC, but as far as I can tell it only does sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You're a bit snookered with the Apple TV 3 unfortunately. You seem to have explored more options than I can think of!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Do you have an iPhone / iPad / iPod touch?

If so, you can install AirVideo server on your computer and then install the AirVideo app on your iOS device.

AirVideo will play any video file on your iOS device from the computer over wifi, then you can select on the iOS device to play on AppleTV :)

Its not ideal as it means you have to have an iOS device running, but better then nothing!

Interesting. I have an iPad. I'll have to look into this then! Looks like a bit of a convoluted workaround if I understand it correctly though?
    1. Play avi/ kmv on my macbook
    2. Use AirVideo on iPad
    3. Play iPad on Apple TV.

Only thing I can think of that might not work is that Apple TV can only play certain content from your iPad. It can play anything in the "Movies", "Music" or "Photos" app, but 3rd party apps like VLC won't work. This all depends on whether AirVideo plays on my iPad using the inbuilt Movies app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Basically, you install the AirVideo Server on your macbook, choose what folder you want to share (ie the folder with all your videos).

Install the AirVideo app on your iPad, open the app and you'll see the folder being shared from your macbook (no need to play the file on your macbook, it just has to be on). Play the video you want, and select to play it via Apple TV.

Or use Airflick and skip the iPad bit.

• Advertisement

Isn't that just AirPlay though? As in, it'l just display what on the macbook's screen?

No. Airflick will send a movie or image to your ATV.
    http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/

No. Airflick will send a movie or image to your ATV.
    http://ericasadun.com/ftp/AirPlay/

I tried it last night, but Airflick would not play any film files that weren't mp4, m4v or mov.
    If this is intentional then it's really not that useful. I'm trying to play avi and mkv files.
    Is this just an issue on my side, or is it by design?

fjon wrote: »
    I tried it last night, but Airflick would not play any film files that weren't mp4, m4v or mov.
    If this is intentional then it's really not that useful. I'm trying to play avi and mkv files.
    Is this just an issue on my side, or is it by design?

Use AirVideo Server to live encode before sending. Once you set up the first time its handy enough. You just chose AirVideo as the input in AirFlick

Advertisement