Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back home Egg-throwing case to stay in the District Court

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They should probably have been charged with public disorder or the like.
    It's still a threat to a public servant.

Only a year or two ago there was a case in Bray, where some guy permanently blinded a nurse when he threw an egg in her face.

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Pity it wasn't a fooking cavity block instead of an egg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Another question that might be asked, given that everyone is supposedly equal before the law is, if somebody threw an egg and hit your car, would the gardai take the incident seriously and would the DPP take the case to court as he did in this case ?

I suspect that if an 'ordinary' citizen had an egg thrown at their car and reported it to the gardai, even if the culprit could be identified, no action would be taken, even though the extent of the criminal damage would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Thought this was going to be about Rugby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Jobs Prosecution for the boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think the most important question that must be taken into consideration before any decision is made: Was the egg free range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I think the most important question that must be taken into consideration before any decision is made: Was the egg free range?

No I think it was a short range:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

People who throw eggs should be sent to the electric chair. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gilmour is some yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

heyjude wrote: »
    Another question that might be asked, given that everyone is supposedly equal before the law is, if somebody threw an egg and hit your car, would the gardai take the incident seriously and would the DPP take the case to court as he did in this case ?

I suspect that if an 'ordinary' citizen had an egg thrown at their car and reported it to the gardai, even if the culprit could be identified, no action would be taken, even though the extent of the criminal damage would be the same.

The difference here is that the Gardai were at the scene and it was also filmed. Anyway who would want to throw an egg at my car or that of any ordinary citizen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_CA_JHHyAc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ficheall wrote: »
    People who throw eggs should be sent to the electric chair. Just sayin'.
    For a nice, relaxing massage? Like the ones in Applegreen? I agree. Could yer man countersue for the return of his misplaced egg? "It slipped out of my hand your Honour, I was waving at him uncontrollably, I love him so".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

They should probably have been charged with public disorder or the like.
    It's still a threat to a public servant.

I expect this is where the 'breach of peace' comes into it, and thats why it's been held in a district court.

I hope the guy hasn't been in bother before, as it will be taken into consideration when the judge dishes out the punishment.
    A District Court conviction for criminal damage can carry a prison term not exceeding 12 months as well as a fine. The breach of the peace offence can result in a fine and or a sentence of up to three months in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Abi wrote: »
    I expect this is where the 'breach of peace' comes into it, and thats why it's been held in a district court.

I hope the guy hasn't been in bother before, as it will be taken into consideration when the judge dishes out the punishment.

Surely 'when the judge dishes out the breakfast'.

9959 wrote: »
    Surely 'when the judge dishes out the breakfast'.
    "Eggs Gilmore" - a fine dish but liable to repeat.

I thought there would be more egg puns, so far there's only been the odd yolk.

It just takes people a while to come out of their shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Doubtless we'll be subject to a few eggscrutiating ones by the end of the thread.

Nodin wrote: »
    Doubtless we'll be subject to a few eggscrutiating ones by the end of the thread.

Yours looks a bit scrambled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yours looks a bit scrambled.

Stop trying to poach my limelight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

martomcg wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/egg-throwing-case-to-stay-in-the-district-court-571970.html

Is it me or does this seem like a complete waste of the courts time and money?

And how exactly can someone be charged for criminal damage without actually causing any damage?

thats a bit eggstreme...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

heyjude wrote: »

That reminds me off what happened to my boss a couple of years ago. Some lad nicked the office credit card and some cash when the reception was left unattended and our secretary thoughtfully kept the PIN number in the box with the card.

Anyhoo, checking through online banking it became clear that he had gone to the nearest ATM at taken out €20 then about 20 minutes later at another bank took out €480. Finally he took another €500 after midnight in a third bank.

The boss got onto the bank manager (who was a client) and he confirmed that the lad was totally recognisable (and was known to the manager) on the ATM security camera and even his car with license plate was clearly identifiable on another camera outside the bank.

Passed it all along to the guards (€1,000 stolen in total) clearly identifiable perp, car reg, surely open and shut. A detective eventually arrived about a week later, was given all the details about withdrawals and whatnot but the boss didn't mention that he spoke to and knew the bank manager (as he didn't want to seem the Miss Marple)

2 Months later after hearing nothing back he eventually got the detective who very convincingly said that all CCTV was examined and there was no record of what had happened and it went into the 'unsolved' box...... charming

Only the 9 dozen eggs in losses.... oh to be a politician

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I think he had no intention of throwing it until someone egged him on.

He'll get off due to eggstenuating circumstances.

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

It would be interesting now if the protester opts for trial by judge and jury.

Thrill wrote: »
    I think he had no intention of throwing it until someone egged him on.

He'll get off due to eggstenuating circumstances.

i

The best/worst pun so far, I hate you EGGHEAD!!!

martomcg wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/egg-throwing-case-to-stay-in-the-district-court-571970.html

Is it me or does this seem like a complete waste of the courts time and money?

And how exactly can someone be charged for criminal damage without actually causing any damage?
    They're making an eggsample of him to deter others. If people see this going unpunished, next week it will be scones. Sorry, stones.

Advertisement