Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug reporting and debugging

Options
  • 26-10-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Dunno if this should go here or in the Open Source forum but I am having a problem with a package in Ubuntu. I've searched the net for similar bugs and found 1 report but no move has been made on it for months. Also a bug where simply starting Eclipse will cause my laptop to fail to shutdown...:confused: I now give running eclipse a second thought before I do.

This got me thinking that I don't really know how to file a bug report. Ubuntu have some good pointer pages which give encouragement but nothing substantial.

I'm looking for directions on compiling a debug file-set and such. I bet you could run a full course on debugging, maybe even a masters degree.

Can anyone shed light on their own debgging / bug reporting stories and experiences. Funny ones are welcome too but would like some advice as to technical things that generally need to be carried out like for example providing uname -a or the like.

Pretty broad thread but hopefully we'll get some interesting replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

On fedora there is an automatic bug reporting system that seems to be working quite well. Ubuntu has something similar - not sure how good is that.

That eclipse bug that you mentioned.. there are different methods to shutdown - which one you're using? Is "sudo shutdown -h now" working fine?

That's to one that you found: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/826093 ?
    this looks related: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/at-spi/+bug/477978

What do you exactly mean by: "fail to shutdown"? Nothing happens/error message/ shutdown but no power off?

I wasn't sure if it was a bona fide bug so I didn't report it as such. I'm still investigating the problem but it is caused by the fglrx proprietary graphics driver, apparently. This also confuses the matter cause its a proprietary driver. Is it Ubuntu's problem?

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/210623

I actually just
    sudo apt-get -remove --purge eclipse-*

and reinstalled Eclipse with synaptic package manager and shutdown is no problem.

I backed up my old
    ~/workspace
    ~/.eclipse
    /etc/lib/eclipse

directories and had to move jar files from
    sudo mv /etc/lib/eclipseCOPY/* /etc/lib/eclipse

but everything is perfect again. It must have had something to do with the way I installed Eclipse in the first place - I was messing with source packages :rolleyes:

Found this post on Ubuntu. Haven't read it yet but posting it so I won't forget later.

Using Linux Log Files

• Advertisement
Advertisement