Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon wheels..Import or go local

Options
  • 26-10-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi All..
    Just looking for a few opinions on buying new Carbon wheels for my tt bike...I've been looking at Ebay and there are alot Of Chinese sets for around 400 euro... the bro bought a set of these last year for his bike and has raced them for a full year and swears by them, I am still a bit iffy as they are chinese imports :confused:... Oh yeah I'd really like to get Clinchers, probably 60mm front and 88mm rear... the only comparison in Ireland are Planet X tubulars at 630 euro per pair, I dont have a big budget or should I say Santa doesn't have a big budget :).. so I suppose my questions are tubular vs clincher- which would you go with? and Planet X at 630euro or chinese Imports at 450 euro - which would you go with?? Cheers people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I raced two seasons on Chinese full carbon clinchers from flyxii.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

thanks I'll check out that site... any1 have any input on the planet x tubulars??

I have no first hand experience with Planet-X wheels but..

When Cliff in Eurocycles was building my carbon clinchers he had a set of P-X wheels in, I asked him what they were like and his feedback was:

-Internal nipples, have to remove the tubs to true them.
    -Spokes are weak and he had quite a few wheels in with snapped spokes.

I bought the carbon rims from china, cx-ray spokes from starbike and had them built on powertap hubs... never had an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm looking at a one year old set of Cosmic Carbone SLR, they are expensive but i've been told they are great wheels. Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm looking at a one year old set of Cosmic Carbone SLR, they are expensive but i've been told they are great wheels. Any thoughts ?

Nice wheels. Most of the reviews seem to suggest they're pretty tough.

What kind of deal you getting on them?

• Advertisement

Nice wheels. Most of the reviews seem to suggest they're pretty tough.

What kind of deal you getting on them?

1350 but i'd hope to get him down to 1200. They have been looked after very well. <<snip>>:D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

1350 but i'd hope to get him down to 1200. They have been looked after very well. ;):D

Great if you can get help pay for them but If I you can't then I think I would go with a set of carbone SL. I've seen them sell for 500-600 and I believe there even more robust than the SLR.

See here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77376519

ray o wrote: »
    Great if you can get help pay for them but If I you can't then I think I would go with a set of carbone SL. I've seen them sell for 500-600 and I believe there even more robust than the SLR.

See here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77376519

Ah but the other ones are all matt black and will match my bike:cool::o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

All, please refrain from the use of the BTW Scheme in association with these discussions for now. An update in this regard will be posted on the Forum Charter in the next few days.

All, please refrain from the use of the BTW Scheme in association with these discussions for now. An update in this regard will be posted on the Forum Charter in the next few days.

Sorry........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sorry........

No worries. Not anyone's bad here. Just something the Mods need to do :)

To add to the discussion - all well and good getting import wheelsets but like getting your teeth done in eastern Europe... no guarantee!! ;)

To add to the discussion - all well and good getting import wheelsets but like getting your teeth done in eastern Europe... no guarantee!! ;)

That's why I'd rather buy a known product in a shop ( even if they are second hand )

On the plus side, the money you save will go towards getting new teeth put in when you land face first from wheel failure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

just seen an advert on Planet X, some carbon wheels reduced to 500.

Advertisement