Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a death cert be changed 5 years later?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone knows if the death cert can be changed?
    my mam died 5 years ago due to complications of MRSA and VRE
    but her death cert doesn't mention this at all.

i had asked a doctor at time of passing, if he could put these on her death cert and he said he would, then the next day he told me the senior doctors told him he wasn't to do that.
    this really bothers me as i feel like they were trying to cover up what happened to my mam.

i'd be so grateful for any help/info on this matter.

thanks for reading

SG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I doubt that you can op, but this is really legal advise that your looking for so maybe a solicitor would be able to advise you better

you can ring one and ask over the phone, most will do this so obviously dont charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I think the only way of changing a cause of death outside a court action is if the issuer of the death certificate agrees that the cause aught to be changed.

I'd second edellc, get legal advice on how best to proceed - it might also be worth contacting the hospital in question's death registration department and asking their advice/policy on MRSA/VRE related deaths.

All the best OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was an inquest held into your mother's death?

You might get more advice on the legal discussion thread, at least they'd be able to advise on what steps might be available.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Give us a shout OP if you want it moved to legal discussion, and we can move the thread over. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Very sorry for your loss OP.

As the others have said, seek legal advice. I know you certainly couldn't get something like that done without the involvement of a solicitor in one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

would i need to go to court to have the death cert changed?
    is this why i will need a solicitor?
    i don't know why it wasn't put on the cert at the time.
    it has cause so much upset for my family.
    thanks for replies, i will check out the legal section.

Shadowgirl

Advertisement