Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid Entry To Street Festival

Options
  • 25-10-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick legal question please. My local village is having a street festival this weekend. The main street will be closed to vehicles, the event organisers have a license for this as far as I know. They are, however, apparently charging everyone that wishes to go down the main street, a public road, during the festival. There are houses and shops all along the village and I can't see how this can be allowed.

Any opinions/views on this? Is it allowed or even legal?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Driving or walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hootanany wrote: »
    Driving or walking.

Walking down the main street. Cars are not allowed in at all AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

They cant charge as far as i know.

When rally ireland was on a few back, all the roads were closed and so became private roads for the duration of the stages. Even then, they could not charge people to go see the rally (as is normal in europe), but i cant remember what the exact reason was.

I'll ring the county council in the morning too I think although god help me trying to get an answer there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How is it any different than fencing off an area of the Phoenix Park and charging entry to a concert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

MagicSean wrote: »
    How is it any different than fencing off an area of the Phoenix Park and charging entry to a concert?

Because you might need to get to a shop/house/etc. on the main street, I'd assume?

Jev/N wrote: »

Because you might need to get to a shop/house/etc. on the main street, I'd assume?

Yes, this is correct, I don't think we should be charged should we want to get some milk, go to mass, visit family, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My home town did the same thing this year and it was an unmitigated disaster! Instead of raising valuable funds it pissed everybody off and a lot of people just went home.

My home town did the same thing this year and it was an unmitigated disaster! Instead of raising valuable funds it pissed everybody off and a lot of people just went home.

That looks to be happening here too. Instead of asking for a voluntary donation they are charging people for access to the streets they walk every day. Did anyone in your locality question the legality of it at the time do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

beardo81 wrote: »

That looks to be happening here too. Instead of asking for a voluntary donation they are charging people for access to the streets they walk every day. Did anyone in your locality question the legality of it at the time do you know?

I don't know but it was organised by the local Scout group so I doubt it.

It was also a town in Cavan as well so the locals were not happy about having to pay money to spend money.

• Advertisement

You seem to be labouring under the belief that you have an absolute right to access those places using the main street. I don't believe that is true. There are many occasions where access can be restricted to areas like this. The Gardaí have a power under the public order act to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Any opinions/views on this? Is it allowed or even legal?

Culchie towns are a law onto themselves. And to be honest, no one in the Pale gives a "hoot" (polite word for a "fuck") what you donkey riding bog monkeys get up to.

The law doesn't apply to the Planet of the Apes.

A cairde

1035373_2b32_625x1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You seem to be labouring under the belief that you have an absolute right to access those places using the main street. I don't believe that is true. There are many occasions where access can be restricted to areas like this. The Gardaí have a power under the public order act to do it.

Fair enough. But for a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

OP I know where you are talking about.

Tell them your a local and your going to the shops. Should not be an issue. See you there :-)

I don't think I have absolute right, no, I asked the question. However I don't think a resident should be charged to walk down a public street. Look at Slane. During concerts all residents are given passes to enter the village.

krd wrote: »

Culchie towns are a law onto themselves. And to be honest, no one in the Pale gives a "hoot" (polite word for a "fuck") what you donkey riding bog monkeys get up to.

The law doesn't apply to the Planet of the Apes.

A cairde

1035373_2b32_625x1000.jpg

Thanks for the intelligent input, appreciated.

I don't think I have absolute right, no, I asked the question. However I don't think a resident should be charged to walk down a public street. Look at Slane. During concerts all residents are given passes to enter the village.

Yes but Slane takes place on private property and there are further barriers before entering the concert area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Most street festivals arrange with the local authority for an order excluding vehicles.

afaik such an order does not apply to pedestrians.

Voluntary donations may be sought from those attending, but those who may refuse to pay cannot be excluded

for KRD's information, there is no difference in the law or it's application inside or outside the Pale; so less of the vulgar juvenile abuse please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Sounds like the "Pumpkin Festival" in Virginia. A couple of years ago, 4 of us had to paid a tenner each to get down the main street. a few fireworks down by a lake and it was over and we were walking back out. Rip off and probably not legal. Never went back since.

So just an update as to what happened. I could not get talking to anyone with any knowledge in the CoCo when I rang on Friday, just wasted my time on the phone.
    As for the festival itself, I ended up not being around on the day they closed off the street (Sunday) Weather did not help, but by all accounts the crowds at it were dismal. Traders local and otherwise voiced their displeasure at the charge, citing it as the main reason crowds were so low. A few of the stall holders were unhappy they had not been made aware on their application forms that there would be a charge.
    Looks like people voted with their feet thankfully!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement