Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvb dongle that will work under Linux?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 7:21pm

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work. i know it should be perfectly possible. However I have just spent the past week trying to get firmware to load so as to get a dongle to function on my Linux mint 13, without success. They don't cost much so I've decided to give up on this dongel and buy one that somebody has actually got to work. I dont really want to waste all that time again on a wild goose chase. Any suggestions.?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have you looked here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Has anybody managed to get one of these to work. i know it should be perfectly possible. However I have just spent the past week trying to get firmware to load so as to get a dongle to function on my Linux mint 13, without success. They don't cost much so I've decided to give up on this dongel and buy one that somebody has actually got to work. I dont really want to waste all that time again on a wild goose chase. Any suggestions.?

Yes, many of us have working dongles.

Without any details on the device - tuner in particular - it is impossible to tell whether it is presently supported in Linux or not.

You might be better advised to start a thread detailing the device you have and maybe get help in getting it to work or deciding it is not going to work.

One thing you need is a modern kernel to support some of the devices.

The one i got is the ITE Inc. Zolid Mini DVB-T Stick Version 1 (it9135) which is pictured in OBs link. I upgraded to Maya13 in order to get the 3.2 kernel. I was meaning to do this anyway becasue my previous mint julia was no longer supported. Anyway I found I needed to upgrade the firmware of the dongle (dvb-usb-it9137-01.fw) and after much searching etc I got the correct firmware in the right place. However loading the firmware always fails.

On googling and more research it seems everybody gets to this stage and nobody has managed to solve the issue. Anyway, i dont want to change my OS now that I've the new mint loaded and would just like to move to a dongle that is known to work solidly. I dont need the latest one, just some bogstandard one that is known to work relatively dependently under linux.

I have found one on ebay which seems to be the Intel CE9500 which is supposed to have been supported since kernel 2.6. Thinking of giving this one a go...

I am using an Afatech ... 9013, 9015 or 9016 depending on what software is looking at it.

Tuner is tda18218 which is supported from kernel 2.6.17(?) or thereabouts.

Firmware is dvb-usb-af9015.fw

I got an af9015 from Amazon ([FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]branded as Geniatech T328B PC)[/SIZE][/FONT]and its working perfectly (acer aspire one ZG5, Linux mint 13, me-tv). The only thing I have to be careful about is to connect the dongle before I open the me-tv programme. Otherwise it won't find the usb. Thanks!

• Advertisement

One thing I noticed about Me-TV, is that it uses a background server which continues to run after you close the main app.

I *think* this enables preset recording to occur even if the main app is not launched ..... unlike most other apps I have tried such as VLC, Kaffeine etc.

Because of that server running, no other app can access the device until the server is halted.

Glad you got sorted ;)

Advertisement