Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emanuel Steward passes away

Options
  • 25-10-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Very sad news for Boxing a true legend has passed away

Source:
    Going to miss you very much @EmanuelSteward You were a good man, a class act and a credit to #boxing RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Has this been confirmed by the family yet? There have been a lot of conflicting reports. Wladimir Klitschko made a statement on facebook and then took it down within a matter of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I guess Wlad is waiting on the family to confirm. Sad news

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Big loss if true, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Confirmed on Eastside Boxing
    http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2012/emanuel-stewardr-i-p/
    Klitschko has already made a statement:
    http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2012/r-i-p-emanuel-steward/

RIP Manny, big loss to boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Very sad. Huge loss. Saw Andy Lee commenting on it on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Sad loss to the Boxing world.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Very sad news

One of the old school.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Andy Lee tweeted that he spoke to his sister who told him he isn't dead but he's seriously ill. Wlad took down his tribute to him on FB. There's a lot of confusion surrounding this and the media have seemed to really mess up. Let's hope he's still alive and pulls through. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

'Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated ' -

apparently came from a Twitter comment ..........

If Stewart is still alive ....... it must feel mad seeing your own tributes and the reactions of fans and friends in advance of your own death !

Anybody know what was wrong with him ?

Hope he is ok

Looks like this has been Ger Loughnane'd somewhat.

The likes of Ricky Hatton tweeting his RIPs before there's been any confirmation is really stupid behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

he has diverticulitis apparently

The death of Emanuel Steward has been confirmed by the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/20084057

Emanuel Steward, who trained legendary fighters Thomas Hearns, Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko among many others, has died at the age of 68.

As an amateur boxer, Steward won 94 of his 97 fights and a National Golden Gloves bantamweight title in 1963.

He made his name as a trainer at the Kronk gym in Detroit and Hilmer Kenty became his first world champion in 1980, followed by Hearns the same year.
    Steward handled more world champions than any other trainer, 43 in all.

Hearns, who had been suffering from colon cancer, was perhaps most closely associated with Hearns, whom he first trained as an amateur at the fabled Kronk.

Having built the Kronk into an amateur boxing super-power, Hearns and Kenty came close to making the 1976 Olympic team.

And in March 1980, Kenty became Steward's first pro world champion when he won the WBA lightweight crown, also becoming the first world champion from Detroit since heavyweight great Joe Louis decades earlier.

Under Steward, Hearns became the first boxer to win world titles in five weight divisions and engaged in classic fights with Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Marvin Hagler.

Steward linked up with Lewis following the British heavyweight's defeat by Oliver McCall in 1994 and the partnership endured until Lewis's retirement in 2004.

Steward was immediately enlisted by Wladimir Klitschko and, having lost his WBO belt to Corrie Sanders in 2003, the Ukrainian became world champion again in 2006.

Steward's roster of fighters reads like a who's who of boxing greats, with Wilfred Benitez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar de la Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Mike McCallum and James Toney also trained by him.

British greats trained by Steward, who was inducted into the International Hall of Fame in 1996, are former light-heavyweight world champion Dennis Andries and former featherweight world champion Naseem Hamed.

RIP Manny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Yeah, confirmed now.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Very sad news. A great trainer and was always very interesting listening to his analysis and commentary of fights.

RIP Manny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Boxing has lost a legend.

Was very lucky to meet him and get a picture taken when Andy Lee was fighting in Limerick a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

W'ont see the likes of him again.

I normally don't go in for these public displays of grief when a figure like Steward dies, I normally don't like them. But he was a real class act and I'll genuinely miss him. He had an old school dignity and decency about him that's all too rare in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Always had great time for Manny Steward. Really enjoyed when he was commentating, turned himself out very well on fight nights too. The fighters from his gym seemed to have massive respect for him, which you don't always see these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

This has genuinely upset me. Had the pleasure of meeting the man a few years back and he was an thorough gentleman, all smiles and greeting people. The word "legend" gets used too willy nilly for my liking but he is without question a legend in the sport. He'll be spoken of decades from now for his contribution to the sport.

I tell you one thing, I feel for Andy Lee right now. Their relationship went beyond coach/boxer, Andy lived with his family and probably saw Steward as a father figure. :(

RIP Emmanuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

magma69 wrote: »
    This has genuinely upset me. Had the pleasure of meeting the man a few years back and he was an thorough gentleman, all smiles and greeting people. The word "legend" gets used too willy nilly for my liking but he is without question a legend in the sport. He'll be spoken of decades from now for his contribution to the sport.

I tell you one thing, I feel for Andy Lee right now. Their relationship went beyond coach/boxer, Andy lived with his family and probably saw Steward as a father figure. :(

RIP Emmanuel.
    yeah they said on Sky Lee was like a son to Stewart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Feel really bad about this. Manny was a really likeable man, completely aside from his professional ability.
    Relatively spaeking he was still not old, just a shame we won't see anymore of him.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RIP Manny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

A terrible loss.

But moving away from the personal aspect, where does this leave Andy now in terms of his future management? Was he signed with Emmanuel Steward or Kronk? Could he be caught in a situation where he is the "property" (for want of a better word) of Kronk even if they didn't have a head trainer who can do the business for him?

yore wrote: »
    A terrible loss.

But moving away from the personal aspect, where does this leave Andy now in terms of his future management? Was he signed with Emmanuel Steward or Kronk? Could he be caught in a situation where he is the "property" (for want of a better word) of Kronk even if they didn't have a head trainer who can do the business for him?

I don't think the Kronk is going to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Henno30 wrote: »
    I don't think the Kronk is going to survive.

This is kinda my point. Could his contract be the property of a company that is being liquidated/scaled down? Could he be caught in a situation where nothing is happening for ages but the new owners or beneficiaries still have control over him in the sense that he couldn't box for anyone else without buying him out?

It would seem unlikely, but you never know with these things.

Advertisement