Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Kiosks In Ireland

Options
  • 25-10-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey Folks,
    I am interested in buying a DVD kiosk for my shop. I have done some research and I am looking to buy from a company called titanmediasolutions , it seems they are based in Ireland and have a few Kiosks around the country and in the UK.
    I met up with one of them last week and looked at the kiosk and how it worked, the only good side of this is they sell used machines with stock as well. So I will save on buying them new. Which in these times I think is a plus, I know the parts are used, but it comes with a warranty.

Over in the US the dvd kiosk market is still growing, and over here its non existent for DVD kiosks. There really is only room to expand?

A few people mentioned the fact of Netflix is in Ireland, but in all fairness, Netflix has the worst selection of movies and it will never change. And its only time before downloading movies illegal is eventually stopped.

Apple tv charges prices higher then xtravision, so this is not recession friendly.

Does anyone have any input on this...thanks folks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

The system works in the US as generaly the footfall for the machines is massive. I know for instance that redbox who charge $1.25 for a night even for new releases, will not install a machine in a location that does not have a daily footfall of in excess of 10,000. You siply wont get this in ireland and therefore you might find it difficult to recoup a cost.

There is also a move away from rentals generally as can be shown by the change of approach of Extra Vision and the demise of chart buster. There are so many offerings for online download that actually going somewhere to rent and then have to bring back is seen as unnecessary.

If your business can add this service as a side note you may have success as compulsive purchases may be an optiont but it would need to be very visable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

subzero10 wrote: »
    And its only time before downloading movies illegal is eventually stopped.

I seriously doubt this is ever going to stop.

If it was me, I'd keep my money in my pocket and think of another idea because as far as I can see the DVD market is going down the tubes, just pop into Xtravision now and see what they are selling to try and stay in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I think there is a market for something like this, if priced correctly, If you have it at €1-2 s night then you could do very well. The illegal downloading of films will never stop, but if you make it more convenient for people to just pop down and get a DVD for the sake of a couple of euro then you will do well.

Also many people do have netflix and many have worked around so they get US Netflix which is much better. But still many people don't have great internet connections or technical know how to make this work.

The bottom line is if you have a good selection of movies, which are regularly changed and you undercut xtravision and all the rest I do think there would be a market. What would be even better is if you could have the machine outside, that way anyone could use it anytime of the day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

As a purely personal hunch, i would imagine you'd find it very hard indeed to turn any sort of profit in these days of digital downloads. Netflix and apple aren't your only competiton - the torrent sites are probably an even bigger threat. There is after all very little appeal in leaving your house and traveling to a shop to pay for something you can have for free, without getting off your sofa.
    Yes, it is a legal grey area but to put it bluntly nobody i know cares about the legality of the situation! I can't see it being all that succesfull im afraid, so again personally speaking- i'd avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

This was tried in Ireland years ago (when DVD rentals were much higher) and it never really took off.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248597

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 subzero10

Yes its true that this concept has been around for a few years. But its one that has never really take off. Over in the US Redbox is huge, and my brother in law "who gave me the idea" says there are queue's for the machine daily.

I know downloading will be a big factor for those who do it illegally. But I have a shop in a town without an xtravision, so I think it would be a big hit. I have done some research with customers and all would love the option of renting a movie.

Some of them did have netflix, but have since gotten rid of it due to poor content.

Once we keep it stocked with new movies, they should be happy. Plus once the movies get old, I have the option to sell them on the shelves in the shop.

Ballyman wrote: »
    I seriously doubt this is ever going to stop.

If it was me, I'd keep my money in my pocket and think of another idea because as far as I can see the DVD market is going down the tubes, just pop into Xtravision now and see what they are selling to try and stay in business.

Well xtravision is brick and mortar - this is just a machine, no personnel or store costs.

kkelliher wrote: »
    The system works in the US as generaly the footfall for the machines is massive. I know for instance that redbox who charge $1.25 for a night even for new releases, will not install a machine in a location that does not have a daily footfall of in excess of 10,000. You siply wont get this in ireland and therefore you might find it difficult to recoup a cost.

There is also a move away from rentals generally as can be shown by the change of approach of Extra Vision and the demise of chart buster. There are so many offerings for online download that actually going somewhere to rent and then have to bring back is seen as unnecessary.

If your business can add this service as a side note you may have success as compulsive purchases may be an optiont but it would need to be very visable.

Well I have seen redbox's everywhere in the US. But the store does get a healthy foot traffic which would be good for recouping the cost. Plus once a person rents a movie, they purchase food with it .

Yes its true illegal downloading will get worse, but its really up to the user. I myself rather a dvd for quality rather then the movies you get from file-sharing websites.

For downloading the offerings are terrible. The studios won't give new releases to netflix or on itunes until after a certain time. Plus apple chart nearly 5 Euro per movie, so what would you rather, pick up a 2 Euro movie with some food , or wait a few months for netflix (US Only, Irish Netflix is terrible for movies) or pay twice on iTunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

subzero10 wrote: »
    so what would you rather, pick up a 2 Euro movie with some food , or wait a few months for netflix (US Only, Irish Netflix is terrible for movies) or pay twice on iTunes

I think you are underestimating the amount of people who would go for option c) find a good quality stream of the movie on the Internet.
    I have done some research with customers and all would love the option of renting a movie.

Everyone would like 'the option' of renting a DVD, but most people won't put their hand in their pocket when the machine is installed.

Advertisement