Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Blog Question

Options
  • 25-10-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I started a blog a few months ago on Blogger.com whilst I was travelling. I didn't really promote it or anything as I was constantly moving about and all of my blogging work had been done on my iPod. Now that I'm home, I want to create a proper blog to showcase my work. I've already settled on using Wordpress and have also chosen a premium theme I'm very fond of.

My question is, should I migrate each blog posting over one by one every consecutive day to the new blog (there's over 50 now) or should I just add them all at once? I'm not really interested in linking my old and new blog together. Although my old blog has been viewed a considerable amount of times, I put that down to the fact that I was linking each post to my Facebook account throughout the year so family and friends could view it.

I've still got a good bit more to write so what are people's thoughts on moving it over?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

Doing the migration one post at a time would certainly give you a way to post regularly for a while which will help build your wordpress following.

pm me your site. I'd love to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for the reply. I'll pm you the link once I've created the Wordpress blog (should be sometime tonight). I'd send you the link to my current Blogger account but the site itself isn't great as it is. Cheers again. I figured one by one migration was probably the best bet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would you not run the risk of annoying your existing followers who have already ready all the migratory posts? I'd do a 1+1 during the migration (one existing post and one new one).

Would you not run the risk of annoying your existing followers who have already ready all the migratory posts? I'd do a 1+1 during the migration (one existing post and one new one).

What I plan to do is keep updating my Blogger page with new posts as I go along, providing links to Facebook and when my Wordpress account reaches a milestone ie India in its entirety, Thailand in its entirety, I'll post a link on my fb stating so. I'll also upload a quick post on my fb account just to say that I've a new Blog too.

One of the reasons I'm migrating to a better template is because so many people independently throughout the year have all said that if my blog was on a book shelf in a store they'd buy it in an instant. I'm not sure but I'm going to give it my all to see if I can make anything of it. Blogger is just too small to get it out there. Currently I'm at 80,000 words with still over half to go.

Blogger is basically family and friends so I'm not going to make them start again but Wordpress will be my push to try and really get it out there.

• Advertisement

If you are interested in a useful website for turning blogs in to ebooks you should check out fastpencil.com
    I'm writing a full length novel and posted the first draft in blog form on my wordpress site. Fastpencil have an awesome tool that imports blog posts and auto formats the posts into a normal book layout. I'm really happy with how it works.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did Fastpencil do the chapter headings and layouts on yours GB? I was impressed with how professional it looked.

Did Fastpencil do the chapter headings and layouts on yours GB? I was impressed with how professional it looked.

Yes, I used their 'elegance' template. They have a bunch of different templates depending on your preference. ie. picture book, business

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

I would suggest you get your own domain (20 Euro?) at an Indy ISP, (20 Euro / month maybe) hire a friendly Wordpress guru to set up a site for you (50 to 100 Euro.) Otherwise, you will have to do it again later, when you get your own site.

@GryphonBoy:

I just pm'd you a link to my blog there.

• Advertisement

Looking good chief.
    I heartily approve of your choice of theme. Duet is my favourite.

Cheers! Yeah Duet is by far the best theme around. I've got over 55 posts to migrate over. To say that my travel blog is a little out there would be an understatement, ha!

I have over 55 posts to migrate over from my old blog to my new Wordpress one. Would it be a bad idea to post two a day instead of one ie one in the morning and one in the evening or should I just stick to migrating one post over each day?

Advertisement