Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office documents in Linux

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Ranjo wrote: »
    The cross-service I'm talking about is compatibility across multiple interface services, like cloud storage/contacts/photos and collaboration software. Adding to that, My opinion is that the selection of software in the repository (I use the Ubuntu one) has not changed much over the last 3-4 years.
    Have you tried this?

I haven't myself but since you said you were using ubuntu...

Also, you might find this interesting too... InSync

I must say I hadn't really noticed any specific problem. But then, I've used linux as a foss development environment for many years and had been connected to the world via the likes of IRC & jabber with shared repositories on the likes of sourceforge & github. Colaborative documents could be shared docs were usually via google docs or sometimes odf docs via something like dropbox - there are so many cloud disk options these days. Jabber & an eclipse plugin allows for a neat collaborative coding env! I haven't used it in a while but it did work very well when I needed it.

I still tend to use dropbox but I would never put anything sensitive there - I mostly use dropbox because I somehow managed to get 50+ gb on it .. I don't remember how.

Anyway, my point is... when I got an android phone my issue was how to make that phone plugin to this "connected world" I already had rather than the other way around.

I don't do facebook & twitter but I'm sure it must possible from linux ... so I still struggle to see what linux is missing? or do you mean there is no facbook app for linux and things like that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

croo wrote: »
    Have you tried this?

Is it not still vapourware? I haven't seen anywhere you can actually get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Khannie wrote: »
    Is it not still vapourware? I haven't seen anywhere you can actually get it.
    yeah it seems to be. :( I've seen it there on their site for a long time and just assumed I could hit download but never even tried. Today I did try and discovered that all you could do was express an interest - if you're an android device manufacturer... what's that about? do they expect the head samsung or htc to just happen across their website and click on a button to do a deal? weird.

But the principal is still valid ... the modern phone is a computer well capable of running what most people require of the desktop. It might put a whole new angle of the BYOD policy for companies if they could have their staff, effectively, buy their own IT desktop hardware!

But yeah, my bad... it's vapourware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It's not vapourware... maybe it's not exactly what is in the ubuntu promo, but I'm testing ubuntu on my s2 galaxy right now

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid

Follow the instruction

I got an network (missing eth0) error at the very end, but I managed to get a running ubuntu command line:
    229866.png

If I understand it corrrectly the whole thing is based on loop mounted image of a system (ubuntu, fedora, you name it) and then chrooting into it.

http://linuxonandroid.org/

It was serious off topic, so continuation here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81897840#post81897840

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

PrzemoF wrote: »
    It's not vapourware... maybe it's not exactly what is in the ubuntu promo, but I'm testing ubuntu on my s2 galaxy right now

That's been around for a while and it's not quite the same thing (pretty sure anyway). Ubuntu plan on releasing their own actually supported ubuntu for android. They've been banging on about it for about 8 months now. Said it would appear towards the end of this year. It's the reason I bought a HTC One X instead of a One S. No actual sign of anything to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

To go back from the off topic area:

"By switching from Windows to LiMux, its own Linux distribution, the German city of Munich has saved over €11 million ($14.3 million) to date compared to the costs of a similar migration to a more modern Microsoft-based IT infrastructure. The city government estimated that Migrating from Windows 2000 to a combination of Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 would have cost it a little over €34 million in total. Switching to LiMux and the OpenOffice.org desktop productivity suite has cost it €22.8 million, according to a cost comparison published last week that detailed the cost of migrating 11,000 users to open source applications on Linux."

Switching to Linux saves Munich over €11 million

Cork next? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I haven't much experience of Lotus Symphony. I do remember trying it years ago, I was disappointed. It had a browser built in that connected to the internet for Symphony updates and help, the applications themselves had a strange interface. It felt like 1980's "take over your computer/ISP portal" bloatware. I uninstalled it immediately.

The software I've used for years is OpenOffice, now LibreOffice. I've always found it reliable, easy to use and fully featured. I also like the addons and templates you can get. I'd recommend it and I think its great software.

When you say corrupted files what exactly do you mean? Can you give some examples? In general to avoid corruption and incompatibility, I suggest using LibreOffice to create, edit and share LibreOffice files, and using MS Office to create, edit and share MS Office files. You could gradually phase out your use of MS Office and its file types over time.

Advertisement