Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apart from Ebay & Adverts.

Options
  • 25-10-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Where do you guys buy your retro games? It's not like in America where there's garage sales & flea markets to pick up cheap games. Ebay is usually fine, but some on some items the postage costs the same as the actual game.

Also, on an unrelated note. I've seen a couple NTSC consoles on Adverts, and was wondering how would you get it working? I've seen adapters that's used for razors/toothbrushes etc but nothing for consoles.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not much else other than adverts and ebay really.

As for NTSC machines, I highly advise you not to use one of those adapter things you are talking about. They are only for use with machines that can utilise the power ratings of multiple countries. If you use one on a console from a different region, you'll blow the power supply and could start a fire if you are really unlucky. You'll need a stepdown converter to run them. You can get them cheap in maplins or peats. For some consoles you can use a power supply from a PAL machine but do research before you try.

Also you might have trouble getting the NTSC signal to display on your TV. Get RGB scart cables for the console and you should be fine. In fact you should be using RGB scart cables for all your consoles since it gives the best visual and audio signal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have heard some people getting good deals selling to Rage, in town, some of their stuff.
    Obviously you are not going to make the same sort of money but, for convenience, it's hard to beat.
    The other place, and folk forget about it, is here on the A&R forum.
    We have a dedicated thread devoted to trading Retro consoles, so avoiding the zoo that is Adverts at times. Here, while you can't buy things, you could work out a deal to trade for the item you might want.
    Regarding NTSC consoles, research and Google are your friend.
    Some NTSC machines, like the PSP, comes with a world wide PSU, the Genesis needs a local PSU, so if you have the appropriate MD psu it should be fine.
    Other machines will need a step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've bought a fair bit from Infideals over the last year or two. Apart from that, ebay & adverts...there's not much of interest for me around locally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There can be stuff to be found on done deal and gumtree but there's a lot of crap to shift through and always chancing your arm posting through there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

sometimes theres good prices on amazon.co.uk for games, most sellers don't ship to the ROI though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

nuxxx wrote: »
    sometimes theres good prices on amazon.co.uk for games, most sellers don't ship to the ROI though :(

Parcel Motel should get around that for you. (if you're in Dublin)

I never used amazon for games. Always thought it would be over priced. Any examples of what you got from there?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I never used amazon for games. Always thought it would be over priced. Any examples of what you got from there?

Normally It is overpriced, but an odd time a cheaper alternative to Ebay might be available, i got a pal Secret of Evermore delivered for like 15 pounds, which is a pretty good deal, probably my best find there

Normally It is overpriced, but an odd time a cheaper alternative to Ebay might be available, i got a pal Secret of Evermore delivered for like 15 pounds, which is a pretty good deal, probably my best find there

I'll only be impressed if it was boxed.

I'll only be impressed if it was boxed.

Seriously??

Add Lukie Games to the list...bought a fair bit off them, the combined postage offer of $1 per extra item is stupidly good value

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seriously??

Add Lukie Games to the list...bought a fair bit off them, the combined postage offer of $1 per extra item is stupidly good value

Über

Über

Certainly looks that way :D

Bought some stuff off Lukie games too, cheap postage and great support

Advertisement