Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Talent

Options
  • 24-10-2012 9:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭

Jest been cogitating on RTE'S reason for providing their "Radio Stars" with mega wedges ..in the 250K - 450K bracket.

Reason they gave waz that if their "Stars" left they would bring huge advt revenue with them.

Doesn't stack up !

Impression always given that RTE were the elite and their presenters were the best and that it would be difficult to source similar talent.

Not so ...other Radio Stations have proved that there is a huge pool of talent in Ireland...the guys on Newstalk Breakfast are good ...so is the lunchtime guy..Hookey is Ok an acquired taste...but the point is that many of these guys an gals would slot into RTE and do a great job.

So why the obscene salaroies ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

the guys on Newstalk Breakfast are good

Referring to Chris O Donoghue as good is a big stretch. Poor interviewer, never commands the respect of his interviewees.

Contrast him to Pat Kenny, who is by some distance the finest broadcaster in the country. That doesn't mean he is entitled to the obscene salary he earns but he is entitled to command the highest salary for a broadcaster.

Marion Finucane on the other hand is having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PODboy

...and the standard of commentators at RTE - I hope that RTE will do something about the the Rugby commentators on TV - why not give one of the Newstalk Commentators a chance at RTE. All my friends now watch the game on BBC. The RTE commentator does not understand the game, sounds annoying and should not be commentating at this level. This guy has been found out - we now have the option of Newstalk and BBC 5 live - and deserve better from our National Broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Aidric wrote: »
    Referring to Chris O Donoghue as good is a big stretch. Poor interviewer, never commands the respect of his interviewees.

Contrast him to Pat Kenny, who is by some distance the finest broadcaster in the country. That doesn't mean he is entitled to the obscene salary he earns but he is entitled to command the highest salary for a broadcaster.

Marion Finucane on the other hand is having a laugh.

Totally disagree with the contention that Pat Kenny is the finest broadcaster in the country. Pat is indeed intelligent and articulate but is always always guilty of asking interviewees a question, allowing them to answer and then giving a version of the answer that he wanted to hear, which serves to give him the opportunity to show off his knowledge of a particular subject. He is rarely combative enough with politicians for me. Jonathan Healy on newstalk lunchtime and Matt Cooper are for me superior to Kenny and would earn a fraction of kennys wage. Kennys been an RTE golden boy for 30 odd years, time to put him out to pasture.

The only reason RTE on air staff are on such crazy money is because RTE beinga public service broadcaster can afford to pay these fees and also because there has never been a substantial enough outcry from the public. The public have always been far too reverential towards RTE and the powers that be in Montrose know theirs is a captive audience. Remove RTE's ability to draw on commercial revenue and youd see salaries fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Jest been cogitating on RTE'S reason for providing their "Radio Stars" with mega wedges ..in the 250K - 450K bracket.

Reason they gave waz that if their "Stars" left they would bring huge advt revenue with them.

Doesn't stack up !

Impression always given that RTE were the elite and their presenters were the best and that it would be difficult to source similar talent.

Not so ...other Radio Stations have proved that there is a huge pool of talent in Ireland...the guys on Newstalk Breakfast are good ...so is the lunchtime guy..Hookey is Ok an acquired taste...but the point is that many of these guys an gals would slot into RTE and do a great job.

So why the obscene salaroies ....

We need to be careful here & distinguish fact from fiction. Fact is that many presenters bring in millions for rte in advertising and can justifiably ask for large salaries. Doesn't mean I like it but....Secondly I simply have no doubt that rte would pay them far less if they could get away with it. Thirdly, Newstalk - have to disagree with your views and who knows want they're paying ?

I don't work for rte or have any connection with them but how about a little credit for a change. Saorview has come in on time and paid for by rte . What ever happened the private consortia who bid for its provision originally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Unfair to compare someone like Pat Kenny with Chris O'Donoghue. If Chris is still the same interviewer in 30 years time, then I would be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

If he's still in radio in 30 years time I'd be worried.

Advertisement