Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few quick questions..

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the total newbie questions, but I have a 13" Macbook, I want to find all the specs of it - year, processor, ram, hard drive etc. Can I find all this in system utils or is there a program that tells me?

Also, I think it's about 4 years old, it's on OSX 10.5 which is getting buggy now, causing me issues. Certainly not the rock hard stable experience macs are known for. How do I upgrade exactly? I don't particularity want to pay lots of money for a brand new OS but one or two versions newer would do. Is there a cheap way I can do this? Is reinstalling any way like how it’s done with windows?

One thing that bugs me is the button below the trackpad only work intermittently. Is this a common fault and is it hard/expensive to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Zascar wrote: »
    Apologies for the total newbie questions, but I have a 13" Macbook, I want to find all the specs of it - year, processor, ram, hard drive etc. Can I find all this in system utils or is there a program that tells me?

Select the apple on the menu bar, and then 'About this Mac'. Then click 'More info..', the opening window will tell you all about the specs.
    Zascar wrote: »
    Also, I think it's about 4 years old, it's on OSX 10.5 which is getting buggy now, causing me issues. Certainly not the rock hard stable experience macs are known for. How do I upgrade exactly? I don't particularity want to pay lots of money for a brand new OS but one or two versions newer would do.

OSX 10.8 (aka Mountain Lion) costs EUR 15. However, the official Apple take is you cannot upgrade seamlessly/directly from 10.5 .
    However, here is a link to a thread in the official Apple support forum where this question has been asked before: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4238075?start=0&tstart=0

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks :) so how do I get a snow Leopard dvd? Anyone have one I can borrow so I an update then pay the e15 to get mountain lion? :p

Or, just looking online, is there a way for me to do a clean install from a usb drive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Make sure the machine supports Mountain Lion. It needs to an early 2009 model or newer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Make sure the machine supports Mountain Lion. It needs to an early 2009 model or newer.
    Ok thanks, it probably won't, but lion would be fine really, even snow leopard would do probably! I just need the disks to do a fresh install.....

Advertisement