Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather

Options
  • 24-10-2012 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I take it his next fight is going to be the Mexican holiday at the start of May

Anyone know if he is even back training yet ?

The only viable fights are Canelo or a Cotto rematch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

A fight at 154 with Martinez is the most 'viable' fight in the world right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Considering Martinez is undergoing knee surgery i dont think a fight at the start of May is 'viable'

TheNap wrote: »
    Considering Martinez is undergoing knee surgery i dont think a fight at the start of May is 'viable'

Martinez says he'll be ready to fight in May, will start training again in January.

I would love to see this fight. Martinez poses a legitimate threat, and if Mayweather wins it would be the type of legacy enhancing triumph he should be seeking at this stage of his career. Would be a hell of a lot better than the winner of Guerrero-Berto.

Not sure it would happen.

Mayweather fought Cotto at 154 but only came into the ring at 147.

Martinez would look twice the size of Mayweather on fight night.

Canelo and Mayweather could be made at the drop of a hat

And on the Mexican bank holiday the fight will sell.

Its the most likely fight i see $$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Don't expect Floyd to risk a fight against either Canelo or Martinez. Both are naturally bigger, both can bang, and both have skills. I think Mayweather will not risk the 0.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Don't expect Floyd to risk a fight against either Canelo or Martinez. Both are naturally bigger, both can bang, and both have skills. I think Mayweather will not risk the 0.

List of people who were considered bigger,stronger and could bang and then they were defeated

Corralles
    Castillo
    Cotto
    Mosley
    Ortiz
    De Le Hoya

To name a few

List of people who were considered bigger,stronger and could bang and then they were defeated

Corralles
    Castillo
    Cotto
    Mosley
    Ortiz
    De Le Hoya

To name a few

Carefully analyse the list you posted. None were at that time as much a threat as Canelo and Martinez would be to Floyd at this time.

Ortiz?:(
    Mosley?:(
    Oscar? Well, I thought Oscar won the fight, but it still was not a peak Oscar in there.
    Cotto?:(
    Castillo?:( I had him winning fight 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea I think you have the blinkers on there Nap. Ortiz was smaller having moved up, Mosley was washed up but had a punchers chance.

Mayweathers doing his job though by convincing you that some of these guys were a threat.

I was at the Mayweather v Ortiz fight and genuinely thought Ortiz had a chance before the fight but that's just part of my desire to see Mayweather get beaten. He's some talent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Martinez fight will not happen.

A boring fight V contender is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Mayweather will never fight Martinez; he's far too terrified.

• Advertisement

Personally i dont see the point in him fighting again.

If he fights Martinez - When he wins = Martinez was always overrated

If he fights Alverez - When he wins = Too young, hasnt fought anyone, overrated

If he fights Pacquaio - When he wins = Too small

But boxing is a business, i think he will take whatever one can make him the most money

Personally i dont see the point in him fighting again.

If he fights Martinez - When he wins = Martinez was always overrated

If he fights Alverez - When he wins = Too young, hasnt fought anyone, overrated

If he fights Pacquaio - When he wins = Too small

But boxing is a business, i think he will take whatever one can make him the most money

I would give him a lot of credit should he meet and beat Sergio and Saul. Can he beat them? Yes. I think he'd have to get Sergio and Saul to come down to 150 lbs. I don't see him risking either man at 154 and above! His best chance would be against Saul I feel. Sergio would pose more speed, power, movement and cuteness issues.

walshb wrote: »
    I would give him a lot of credit should he meet and beat Sergio and Saul. Can he beat them? Yes. I think he'd have to get Sergio and Saul to come down to 150 lbs. I don't see him risking either man at 154 and above!

Cant see him asking them to come down. I reckon he will fight Canelo at 154lbs. Easy fight to make and will sell a lot of PPV's.

Think Martinez is too big. He said he is willing to come down but whats the point in making someone come down when if/when you beat them they use it as a stick to beat you with

Cant see him asking them to come down. I reckon he will fight Canelo at 154lbs. Easy fight to make and will sell a lot of PPV's.

Think Martinez is too big. He said he is willing to come down but whats the point in making someone come down when if/when you beat them they use it as a stick to beat you with

He has already said on several occasions that Sergio has to come down to 150.

If you're going to be a Floyd fanboy it's worth taking the time to learn what his positions are.

Henno30 wrote: »
    He has already said on several occasions that Sergio has to come down to 150.

If you're going to be a Floyd fanboy it's worth taking the time to learn what his positions are.

Oh im very sorry. You obviously have read this somewhere, can you send me the link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I couldn't give a toss about Mayweather. I'd be happy if he retired. Same goes for Pac. Make way for some new stars that might actually fight each other.

I didn't interpret that TheNap was some fanboy. Just someone posting about Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Pretty cool video for anybody interested...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

people calling for a martinez fight are being a bit unfair to floyd. floyd could fight at 140 if he wanted. 154 is too much, especially against martinez who in all fairness is better suited to 160. martinez would easily weigh 25 lbs more than floyd on fight night.

even though the cotto fight was 154 it was better suited, cotto isn't a super middleweight cutting down like sergio.

I agree. Floyd desereves credit if he meets Canelo and Martinez, conversely, he does not deserve criticism should he opt not to face them. Both are naturally a couple of weights higher.

• Advertisement

people calling for a martinez fight are being a bit unfair to floyd. floyd could fight at 140 if he wanted. 154 is too much, especially against martinez who in all fairness is better suited to 160. martinez would easily weigh 25 lbs more than floyd on fight night.

even though the cotto fight was 154 it was better suited, cotto isn't a super middleweight cutting down like sergio.

Why doesnt Martinez move up and fight Andre Ward if he wants a big fight ?

Of the two scenarios I would think that Martinez would have a far higher mountain to climb to beat Ward, who is almost a LHW, as opposed to Floyd having to meet Martinez and beat him. I would give Sergio a 10 percent chance at beating Ward. I would give Floyd a 40 percent chance at beating Martinez.

Ah i just dont rate Martinez as highly as most people do. His fights against average opposition in Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin have been competitive enough considering he is rated one of the top p4p fighters in the world.

Ah i just dont rate Martinez as highly as most people do. His fights against average opposition in Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin have been competitive enough considering he is rated one of the top p4p fighters in the world.

I don't rate him all that high. Solid, neat and skilled. But, nothing special special. I still think he may be a step too far for Floyd. P4P Floyd is better.

Barker is below avearge. Matthew Macklin is so called world class, but to me I don't see anything to rave about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

he only challenge in meeting a canelo or a martinez is that it gives floyd an actual competitive fight. against people in his own weight class he has the edge in skills. giving an opponent a size advantage means we'd actually get to see him in a more ''even'' fight, and we'd get to really see how good he is.

magma69 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss about Mayweather. I'd be happy if he retired. Same goes for Pac. Make way for some new stars that might actually fight each other.

If Mayweather isn't going to fight some bigger game then I'd be happier if he was gone too. As far Pacquiao, he looks in real decline and is not likely to recover the form of 08/09. Unfortunately, the speed at which he goes through money suggests he'll be hanging around long after the light has dimmed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The only fight i would really be keen on seeing him in is martinez. Canelo would be embaressed by Floyd, i reckon floyd would win an wide UD as for Pac he is over the hill far more then Floyd, in 09 yeah it would have been a great fight but really now i dont see Pac as a threat to Floyds 0. Martinez poses a real threat and if Floyd was to win i dont think you could really make up any bs to not credit the win, Martinez is coming off his biggest win since Williams 2 a one sided beating of JCC who was considered the 2nd best at middleweight, secondly Martinez gained a lot of exposure with that win it was no dought one of the real big fights of the year not involving either Floyd or Pacman and therfore him fighting floyd would i think sell vell on PPV numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Are you aware that Sergio was a welter for a substantial part of his career, then really settled at light-middle. The only reason he moved to middle was both himself and Paul Williams were being avoided like the plague by the big names so they fought each other. Williams had already tested the waters at middle and was looking to get a shot there, so their fight was made at 160.

After that cracker, even though he lost, Martinez was offered a shot at Pavlik and he was hardly going to turn it down. He won, so obviously has to defend that title.

I regard Martinez as an average sized light-middle campaigning at middle. By ordinary middle standards he's small and could still comfortably make 154, his best fighting weight IMO.

megadodge wrote: »
    I regard Martinez as an average sized light-middle campaigning at middle. By ordinary middle standards he's small and could still comfortably make 154, his best fighting weight IMO.

Mayweather makes very extravagant claims about his place in the pantheon of boxing greats. This is a fight that befits the status he affords himself.

This guy claims to be better than Sugar Ray Robinson, yet fighting a natural light-middleweight when he's a light-middleweight champion is unthinkable?

If so, then fair enough. He's the one getting in the ring and it's up to him, but if that's his position then he needs to significantly downwards revise his own estimation of himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement