Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Boot

Options
  • 24-10-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I currently have a laptop running Fedora 17. I needed to use Linux for college. However, I want to set it up to dual boot with Windows, but I'm not terribly sure. If it was dual booting from Windows to Linux, grand, but I've never done it the other way around. Any help appreciated, but at the moment, current plan is to just format with Windows and then dual boot but I'd rather not waste the extra time.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you set up a separate windows partition and install to it, Windows will overwrite your grub MBR. Pretty sure you just boot a live CD and do a grub install at that point to overwrite the windows only one (with the grub which should offer both). Certainly wouldn't be doing the full extra install. There are probably guides around that can help you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'd backup the partition and do what khannie said. If it goes totally wrong then you can always install Windows first and then put linux back after

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I've not set up a dual boot system since I started working with Virtualbox. Smoothest and cleanest option by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Resize your Linux partition, I'd use GParted, and with the free space make a partition. Then install Windows to the newly formed partition. Then restore grub using a live cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

druidhill wrote: »
    I've not set up a dual boot system since I started working with Virtualbox. Smoothest and cleanest option by far.

Depends on what you need the other OS for. If its memory intensive then you hardly want windows running in the background.

• Advertisement
Advertisement