Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Chain Question

Options
  • 24-10-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm going to buy a 2004 Opel Corsa 1 Litre petrol, and the seller tells me that the timing chain has been replaced recently. He doesnt have any documents to prove that it has been done. Is there any way that I can check what he says is correct, or do I have to bring it to a garage to find out for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the seller tells me that the timing chain has been replaced recently. He doesnt have any documents to prove that it has been done.
    If he didn't get a receipt saying he got it done, I'd wonder is he saying it to keep you happy and interested in the car?

BTW, dealer or not dealer? If not dealer, walk away, if it is dealer, ask to check the log book (chain may have been done in-house). If it's not noted anywhere though, I'd walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blacklawlessd

Its a private seller. Car is a 2004 model, and has 58000 miles on it. Read somewhere that it was a problem with that model car that required the timing chain to be replaced so early

Read somewhere that it was a problem with that model car that required the timing chain to be replaced so early
    Double check if the timing belt or chain had to be replaced early. The belt, sure, but the chain? Never heard of you having to change the chain early. heck, I'm told once you don't let the oil go low, the chain in most cars is meant to last a good while!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

if chain (i am not sure though) was changed, than it happen due lack of service, which damaged it. Chain usually stays lifetime of car its 200k. or 250 k miles.

i would walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engines are known for timing chain issues so it's not unusual to see one changed at this stage. With no receipts I'd walk away but either way I would not bother looking at any car with that engine, they were poor at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭paulginger2

All good answers but he is lookin for a way to check the engine himself to see if chain has been done?. There was definitely an issue with the timing belts, i think there was a recall as far as i know, as this was a common issue with these corsas.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭paulginger2

also did these cars come with the timing chain as standard or the belt type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If the chain is not noisy now then there shouldn't be an issue once you maintain it properly.

The only reason the car would have required a replacement chain would be due to poor maintenance/low oil.

The only reason the car would have required a replacement chain would be due to poor maintenance/low oil.
    I'm thinking that the chain could be the silver bullet, as poor maintenance may require you to pump more money into it down the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

bazz26 wrote: »
    Those 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engines are known for timing chain issues so it's not unusual to see one changed at this stage. With no receipts I'd walk away but either way I would not bother looking at any car with that engine, they were poor at best.

But what difference does it make to OP if chain was really changed or not.
    As some people said normally this chain shouldn't need changing for the lifetime of the car. If this one needed changing for whatever reason, the it's got from OPs point of view that it was changed. If it wasn't changed, than that shouldn't be a problem, as they normally don't need changing anyway.
    So it's a win-win situation.

I'd say no one would came up with idea to falsly advertise that chain was changed , considering it normally doesn't need to be changed.
    I've seen some ad's of cars with timing chains, advertised that timing-belt was changed recently. In those cases you can see straight away that seller is lying./

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I got my timing belt + water pump changed by a mechanic friend of my dad. We bought the parts and he did all the work in my dad's driveway. I didn't get a receipt off him or anything to prove that the work was done, I forgot to ask for one anyway.

Maybe the seller also had the work done by a friend/someone he knows ?

Advertisement