Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy degrees open lots of doors... Really?

Options
  • 23-10-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

The whole way through college, and also while working as a pharmacist I heard from many different people in many different walks of life that a pharmacy degree is a great one to have - it can open many doors, there's a huge range of jobs available to a pharmacy graduate.

Perhaps I'm blind but I can't see many?! I've been working in retail pharmacy for 4 years - 1 as a pre-reg and 3 as a pharmacist. I didn't do it for the money, and money is not my prime motivator. What I would like is a job where I get a lunch break, I don't have to work weekends, and I earn enough to pay my bills.

Any suggestions?? I'm really struggling to see any, and I'm starting to get a bit depressed by it... In theory yes one can work in industry, in academia, in hospital... in practice I don't see any jobs out there I'm qualified for with my degree and 4 years experience in retail pharmacy :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

sad isn't it, post deleted. if you cannot post in a constructive helpful manner then don't post. no further warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

There are loads of options. I've worked in industry, community, research and now in a completely different area again. I'm only 2 years qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think that's great bleg, and I'm genuinely happy to hear it. I don't know if I'm just blind but I've been keeping an eye out for a while and haven't seen a single position I'd be suitable for..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Well, with a science degree you can do anything anyone else with a science degree can do. (Pretty sure pharmacy is mostly science, it's not my background).

There's also the argument that while you might not fit the exact requirements, you have an additional skillset that might be relevant (customer facing, experience purchasing, monitoring stocks and storage conditions)

If you fancy abandoning the med/sci field altogether, remember that your science background has equipped you with a whole set of problem solving and analytical tools that another graduate probably doesnt have. Just gotta think outside the box and squish your experience into a generally box shaped shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

If you've any questions or want advice sure give us a shout.

• Advertisement

I am just in 4th year now and I'll be doing my pre-reg in a hospital that also does a lot of clinical trials. Could this be a back way into industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

What about a masters ??

For example:

http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/masters/dmsct.html

Advertisement