Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A career in Security? The pros and cons

Options
  • 23-10-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I am seeking a new career and considering Security. Anybody got comments on whether this is a good move or bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

As in being a security guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

omahaid wrote: »
    As in being a security guard?

Yes, apologies for not been specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Are you hoping for a proper career in security or just a job as a security guard? From my experience of the security industry (which I left in 2007 so my experience is over 5 years old) the bottom rung never gets about supervisor level so if you want to go in as management then you would probably be better avoiding the security guard jobs.

If you are happy at supervisor or lower grades then there isn't much to do other than apply for jobs. I worked at a supervisor level with others who had done courses and diplomas in security and we were paid the same.

Oh, don't forget the PSA licence, you need that to get a job in security :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Omaheid hit it on the head. It's a job, not a career (unless you just want to pay bills with a relatively low salary). The only real upward movement you can get is to start your own company (you'll find that even the managers of company's are generally friends of the owner who helped start it with them). Even then that's a saturated market with tons of established companies already out there so you have to offer something extra that will win contracts (and it can't just be in terms of price; EVERYONE is undercutting each other nowadays).

It's a grand, relatively recession-proof job though. It's gotten me by as a dayjob for about 6 years and offers the flexibility that lets me work on my career job on top of it. The PSA licence is a good qualification to have, low-level experience is easy enough to get if you're willing to work for peanuts, and you can walk into more stable jobs later on once you have a wide range of experience. My past couple of job interviews for security have been more conversations about what we'll do when I start after looking at my CV, because I had what they were looking for.

The cons are that there's no progression up the ladder, your chances of breaking €30k in salary are pretty slim, you get little to no thanks or appreciation and managers will constantly mess you around and mistreat you regardless of what you've done for them in the past. It's a very "What have you done for me today?" industry.

But it pays the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

kilograms wrote: »
    I am seeking a new career and considering Security. Anybody got comments on whether this is a good move or bad.

What is your current career?

Also, what is your education and skill level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Sorry for the late reply. I am a Metal Fabricator by trade and also i am an Emergency Medical Technician. I can't seem to find work in those areas but there is work in the Security sector which is why i considered it.

But looking at your answers and have also spoken to people in the industry recently, i certainly will not be choosing a career in security.

Thanks for your replies.

Advertisement