Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega making buzzing noise.

Options
  • 23-10-2012 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

I dug out my old megadrive II the other day and hooked it up. It fired up perfectly but the only sound it is giving through the TV speakers is a steady buzz. I was wondering if anybody knows what might be causing this? I assumed it has to be the sound-card or it's equivalent that has conked or that TV scarts are different than the ones from back in the day and cant relay the sound properly (early-mid 90's).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are you using RF, AV composite or a proper scart connector. If it's RF then the quality of sound and video are going to be rubbish and the buzz is probably due to that and bad tuning. If it's composite or proper RGB scart it could be capacitors going in the machine but they are well built and not head of this happening to a Megadrive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0 is an RF hater.
    ..generally though you're better off going via AV /RGB.Quite often the shielding goes on the RF connector , or a new TV wont tune it in , or something interferes with it . An AV cable off ebay is usually fairly cheap , (think I got one for a fiver , and I've made one or two for a megadrive 1 (megII is a little too fiddly for me!))RGB is the best quality but is a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Could be a number of things alright. Only way to really be sure is to get an RGB scart cable and use that to connect it to the TV. I'd say the sound will be fine then.

The only Megadrive I've ever seen with a broken sound chip was my overclocked one. I went a bit crazy flipping it between processor speeds and borked the sound chip.

Here's a Megadrive II rgb cable. If you get one, just make sure you put it into the correct scart socket (on a lot of TVs, only one supports RGB. They'll both show picture, but the RGB socket will be better quality)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Megadrive-II-2-AV-RGB-scart-cable-TV-lead-NEW-/110697666334?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item19c618571e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Been a while since Sega had any sort of buzz if you ask me.

1720-ba-dum-tss.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Retr0 is an RF hater.

And he doesen't have much time for 50hz either:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0 is an RF hater
    Monkeykube wrote: »
    And he doesen't have much time for 50hz either:)

Anyone caught using RF @50Hz should seriously contemplate making a Jamma+ account...ya know, just in case

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Anyone caught using RF @50Hz should seriously contemplate making a Jamma+ account...ya know, just in case

If you were to ask me which was worse, RF or 50hz, I honest wouldn't know what to tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Thanks guys I'm going to invest in one of those Megadrive RGB cables. I never knew such a thing existed. Sound issues aside I'm still impressed that it actually worked first time and all of the cartridges are still working. Roll on Streets of Rage Marathon.

I'm still impressed that it actually worked first time

Of course it does, what do you think it is a PS3? :D

I've done it ...on a portable black and white tv too...
    muhahahhahahah!
    troll_dad_dancing.gif

• Advertisement

Yeah well you'll prob end up as a mod/admin of Jamma+ :pac:

Thanks guys I'm going to invest in one of those Megadrive RGB cables. I never knew such a thing existed. Sound issues aside I'm still impressed that it actually worked first time and all of the cartridges are still working. Roll on Streets of Rage Marathon.
    Actually one thing , try making sure theres no dust etc in the tv cable port on the megadrive II , I've seen it knock out sound on one once a few years back. Bit of compressed air will do the trick

Yeah well you'll prob end up as a mod/admin of Jamma+ :pac:

heh
    In fairness its a tiny 3 inch portable (battery powered)I use to test RF settings on old home computers and Atari VCS's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Straight to Jamma+ with you and don't forget your RF lead.

Jamma+
    folk are so much nicer over there:pac:

Master of the Universe

50hz, RF, black and white?

Here's a picture of Dr. Bob operating his washing machine

steam+power.jpg

Oh thats Bob? I thought that was Cidey tuning in his tv years ago

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Funniest thread I've read in a long while! Well played all. :pac:

The amount of free advertising Jamma+ is getting is unreal too. :D
    Retr0 is an RF hater.
    ..generally though you're better off going via AV /RGB.Quite often the shielding goes on the RF connector , or a new TV wont tune it in , or something interferes with it . An AV cable off ebay is usually fairly cheap , (think I got one for a fiver , and I've made one or two for a megadrive 1 (megII is a little too fiddly for me!))RGB is the best quality but is a bit more.

Dr Bob I'm liking the new edge you have to your posts these days. :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Dr Bob I'm liking the new edge you have to your posts these days. :cool:

Noticed that too...he's turned badass & takes no sh1t off anyone it seems :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RF hater is putting it mildly. It's only really tolerable if it's the best output a console has.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Make sure to follow that up with a Golden Axeathon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'll all be taking part in a Halo-a-thon first, actually we were going to call it a Halo Marathon but it was too meta....

And anyone else who bails for Jamma+ will be marked for death... or to have to suffer another lecture on why Gunstar is great/why LoD is pants from Retr0, your choice (I'd select death myself) ;)

Advertisement