Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to a 802.1x EAP Network

Options
  • 23-10-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Hey

Any idea is is possible to connect to this network on Android. Its a college network where I use my college ID and my password to log in, but if I fill in those details it just keeps trying to connect without any luck or it says authorisation fails.

Im using a Galaxy S3 but as far as I remember it never worked on other Android devices too. Just wondering is there a workaround as im well able to make use of that network on my laptop or Windows Phone.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

I connect to an 802.1x EAP wireless network on my Galaxy Nexus.
    These types of networks usually require a security certificate to authenticate the user.

You would have to find out if the college uses a certificate and export it to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ongarite wrote: »
    I connect to an 802.1x EAP wireless network on my Galaxy Nexus.
    These types of networks usually require a security certificate to authenticate the user.

You would have to find out if the college uses a certificate and export it to your phone.

But why does an Android device need it when Windows based devices seem to just work?

I found some stuff on the internet where it said try using advanced config apps from the marketplace but the two top ones I tried so far just crash the minute you try to go into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

The certificate is pushed down to your laptop automatically when you logged into the (work, college) network the first time.

You can see if you have a college certificate, by going typing certmgr.msc into run box (in Windows XP). The certificate should be under Personal/Certificates.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I assume this isnt TCD if you're using WP7?

I had to root and use a 3rd party app for this before, but that was back on GB, really should be fixed in ICS. Shame on google if its not.

ED E wrote: »
    I assume this isnt TCD if you're using WP7?

I had to root and use a 3rd party app for this before, but that was back on GB, really should be fixed in ICS. Shame on google if its not.

TCD? I'm not using WP7 now. It's a college network (DIT).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TCD? I'm not using WP7 now. It's a college network (DIT).

Trinity College Dublin = TCD.

You're on the latest firmware yeah?

ED E wrote: »

Trinity College Dublin = TCD.

You're on the latest firmware yeah?

Running Android. 4.1.2

It's a custom ROM but it was the same story on the stock One too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Is it Eduroam you are trying to connect to because I can connect fine on my Android phone. I've never had any trouble connecting to any Wifi network, it could just be the S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Eduroam works fine on my nexus 7 and s3.

This is what I get when I click on the network. I put in my Student ID, leave the anonymouse identity field blank. Once I click connect it just tells me theres an authenitication error or keeps on trying to connect without any luck

Is there something more I have to put in. I went into the cert manager on my laptop but in the place where I looked I couldnt find anything relating to DIT

225665.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Didnt work either. Tried it step by step and still ended up getting authentication error.

Tried it both ways of using only my student ID (which works on the laptop and windows phone) and using my full email address. No luck with either, even tried to put on a screen lock just to see would that make a difference.

I emailed IT support to see what they can come up with, but I dont expect much at this stage.

Advertisement