Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File shredder won't erase files on network drive

Options
  • 23-10-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone,

need a little help with my home Network Shared HDD. It's connected through the router, and working fine except....

.... I can't use the McAfee shredder on my laptop to securely erase files on the Network Drive. A warning message shows up telling me that the items selected cannot be shredded, as it might cause an issue on my computer.

Is there any work around for this? What kind of things could I check?
    Any ideas welcome!

paul8f

.... see my Question up on Yahoo Answers by searching for "shredder network drive" in the Search Y! Answers box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

paul8f wrote: »
    .... I can't use the McAfee shredder on my laptop to securely erase files on the Network Drive.
    What extensions do the files have (.dll, etc?) and do you have the rights to delete files on that drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paul8f

the_syco wrote: »
    What extensions do the files have (.dll, etc?) and do you have the rights to delete files on that drive?

The files I want to securely erase are mainly MS Word docs and PDFs. I tried changing the Owner by going to the Properties of a file. The following Windows Security dialog box was shown when I clicked APPLY:

"Unable to set new owner on <filename>.doc
    Access is denied"

I will try playing around with the User Rights settings later, and post back here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maybe it doesn't work on network locations.

Eraser (a fine piece of Irish software) works with network drives. Just drag the files or folders into the program window and hit Run. (portable version here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

paul8f wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

need a little help with my home Network Shared HDD. It's connected through the router, and working fine except....

.... I can't use the McAfee shredder on my laptop to securely erase files on the Network Drive. A warning message shows up telling me that the items selected cannot be shredded, as it might cause an issue on my computer.

Is there any work around for this? What kind of things could I check?
    Any ideas welcome!

paul8f

.... see my Question up on Yahoo Answers by searching for "shredder network drive" in the Search Y! Answers box.

That's your problem right there.

Advertisement