Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One week to go ... what should I be doing?

Options
  • 23-10-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Title says it all. My test is this Saturday and I'm starting to get those butterflies.
    What should I do between now and then. I have a sheet of 20 or so frequently ask questions and all the sign posts that I am studying but is there anything else I should be doing?
    Kind of annoying that I didn't get my date during the summer because now I need to balance what little time I have this week doing important college assignments and going out for practice drives.
    Thanks in advance for the input.
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Title says it all. My test is this Saturday and I'm starting to get those butterflies.
    What should I do between now and then. I have a sheet of 20 or so frequently ask questions and all the sign posts that I am studying but is there anything else I should be doing?
    Kind of annoying that I didn't get my date during the summer because now I need to balance what little time I have this week doing important college assignments and going out for practice drives.
    Thanks in advance for the input.
    Gav

Have you had driving lessons? I didn't think I needed any but took one the day before the test, it turned out that my observation was crap. He had me out again the morning of the test for a final run. Only for it I don't think I'd have passed tbh.

It also helps knowing the test route and doing a few laps of it, preferably at the same time of day as the test in order to be comfortable with the traffic conditions. My 2 cents worth. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

deccurley wrote: »
    Have you had driving lessons? I didn't think I needed any but took one the day before the test, it turned out that my observation was crap. He had me out again the morning of the test for a final run. Only for it I don't think I'd have passed tbh.

It also helps knowing the test route and doing a few laps of it, preferably at the same time of day as the test in order to be comfortable with the traffic conditions. My 2 cents worth. Good luck!

I have had two. My dad taught me and I just took the two of them to smooth off the edges. My instructor seemed fairly confident and only really said that I needed to work on keeping tight to the left/right when turning at junctions. He is going to meet me at the test centre an hour and a half before the test to get me warmed up.

How does the theory part work? Am I given question on a sheet that I have to answer before going out for the test or is it that the instructor asks you the questions before you leave the test centre? My sister got a grade 2 mark on the theory and so I don't want to have that before I even start my driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Maybe book a pre-test before the driving test might help see where you are at and what to work on, what you and your accompany driver might be aware of how well you are doing and where you making mistakes, an instructor and a pre-test point out where you need to work on, on time for the test?

Practice everything and try to go for a town drive every day in the lead up to the test, practice makes perfect!

Studying the rules of the road not just prepared answers, you will be asked at least 8-10 theory questions and roughly 6-10 road signs, theory questions are based on the rules of the road there is a few threads on that already if you search for them, you definitely be asked about the yellow box junction make sure you know it as its one question that is always asked, other areas be based on road markings, road signs, traffic lights, right of way, overtaking, parking, where not to overtake, not to park, when not to use the horn, when to dip your lights and so on, know your road signs as any of them could be asked but there are the few that are often asked, at least some regulatory and some motorway, warning and roadwork signs usually.

Know about your technical checks under bonnet of car you probably be asked a few things on that and know where to point out and where they are and what they do/purpose such as the brake fluid, windscreen/washer fluid, engine coolant/reservoir and so on, how you measure the oil, tyre depth (1.6mm), knowing how to conduct inside secondary control checks - wipers, washer fluid, heating/demister, hazard lights, indicators, lights, brakes, how/show measure tyre depth, and practice drives really.

You will be asked to do a hill start, park, turnabout, reverse and you be marked on every possible area of driving - roundabouts, progress - speed how quickly you move off/move on in gap of traffic in particular in traffic/at roundabouts/at junctions, hazards, observation - mirrors/checks/, lane/road position, anticipation, vehicle and traffic controls, hand signals, best of luck!

Practice practice practice! Good luck!

doovdela wrote: »
    Practice everything and try to go for a town drive every day in the lead up to the test, practice makes perfect!

Practice practice practice! Good luck!

I wish I could just go to my lectures and say "here... give us a break. Forget about getting these assignments until after this week!"
    I'm up to my ears with assignments due this week. Really need to use my time wisely this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You need to fit in the driving somehow even if just for 5-10 mins, get your assignments done, you don't have to go to all of your lectures!!? Have an excuse to drive like if you had someone with you to go to college and come home? Or give someone you know a lift or something into town/college? Or do lunch hour for a drive? Or time after college? Its really just about managing your time, and getting things done? Gets the assignments out of the way today is Tuesday, test Saturday, make sure you give Friday the most attention to driving if you can...one hour of driving is probably better than devoting 5 mins per day if you can't fit in the driving every day?

• Advertisement

Passed today in Tallaght :)

Cheers for all the help.

Advertisement