Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using your Irish name

Options
  • 22-10-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

I've always thought that I'd use my name in Irish once I could speak the language. Have finally started to improve my Irish somewhat & don't know when I'll live in Ireland again.

Main thing I'm thinking of is how to get it in common usage — presume places like the utilities won't change it without proof of ID, but the passport office want proof of use.

Could always go with a deed poll, but seems strange when I'm not really changing my name :) Was just thinking if it was a realistic prospect at all while abroad — has anyone else done this?

Not sure if this fits better here or in the Irish forum — mods, please feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Anything new you sign up to put it in Irish. A popular one is putting it on facebook in Irish. After a year you should be able to put it on any renewed documents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Feathers wrote: »
    I've always thought that I'd use my name in Irish once I could speak the language. Have finally started to improve my Irish somewhat & don't know when I'll live in Ireland again.

Main thing I'm thinking of is how to get it in common usage — presume places like the utilities won't change it without proof of ID, but the passport office want proof of use.

Could always go with a deed poll, but seems strange when I'm not really changing my name :) Was just thinking if it was a realistic prospect at all while abroad — has anyone else done this?

Not sure if this fits better here or in the Irish forum — mods, please feel free to move.

Do you enjoy having your name mispronounced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

After a year you should be able to put it on any renewed documents too.

Sorry, that sounds interesting but what do you mean exactly? Like documents over here, like travel cards and that?
    MadsL wrote: »
    Do you enjoy having your name mispronounced?

Haha, yeah — definitely taking it up a notch between the two. Would hate to have a name that the Brits mispronounce even in the English version, like Moran or Gallagher, that must be really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

How do you pronounce cleití anyway? :confused:

MadsL wrote: »
    How do you pronounce cleití anyway? :confused:

Clay-tea — sounds delicious! ;)

Haha, send that one in to the passport office — 'I had my boards.ie username in Irish for two years!' :D

• Advertisement

Sorry, that sounds interesting but what do you mean exactly? Like documents over here, like travel cards and that?

Well, after a year you would have a few pay slips in your new name and a few other documents that you could use as proof to put a travel card in your name.

Well, after a year you would have a few pay slips in your new name and a few other documents that you could use as proof to put a travel card in your name.

But I'm just thinking that work and/or waterworks, electricity company, etc. probably won't agree to change my name without proof that it legally is my name. At home, you'd probably get more leeway from them.

But I'm just thinking that work and/or waterworks, electricity company, etc. probably won't agree to change my name without proof that it legally is my name. At home, you'd probably get more leeway from them.

I know that in the North the electricity company will put it into any name you want. Banks ask for ID or a payslip but you could say that your work spell it the English way because you wanted to make it easier.

Getting the names changed should be easy but its worth checking out that its totally legal to have all documents and accounts in a name that is not legally yours (if a different spelling is viewed that way).

I made my Paypal account in my mothers name when I was 16 because I thought it had to match the bank account used. Now they refuse to change it without me jumping through hoops even though it has my DOB.

Getting the names changed should be easy but its worth checking out that its totally legal to have all documents and accounts in a name that is not legally yours (if a different spelling is viewed that way).

Cool thanks, that's a good point — most look into that aspect of it before I'm up on fraud charges :)

Advertisement