Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time renting, need welfare questions answered.

Options
  • 22-10-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Ok so these questions are asked alot here, but after searching i cant find straight forward answers, and after being into the citizens adice, all the did was print off the web pages, which are a load of horse s**t, as they never give a simple, straight forward answer in plan english... and my patience are running out..

Basically, im 21, on the disability allowance, not working and things have gone to pot in my mothers house and she wants me out, and im looking for somewhere to rent..

im on the disability allowance, which means i should be entitled to the house holds benefits package.. regarding that, and the free tv license part, i dont already have a tv license, on the application form, it asks for your current tv license number.. what do i do? do i pay for it and fill out the form? and if so will it be refunded? or does the post office give you one after the form is filled?

with rent allowance, everyone keeps telling me different things about it... whether im entitled to it or not, do you have to wait 6 months before getting it or not? or if your situation is dire, can you get it right away?

basically at the moment, i have no where to live, im staying with friends while i try save money for a deposit, first months rent and food etc.. is there any way the social welfare can help with that?

any advice would be appreciated..

ps. i dont want links to the social welfare or citizens info sites, as i've sifted through all of that bull, and been into them and none of them have helped. cheers

~Ted
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

ted. wrote: »
    Ok so these questions are asked alot here, but after searching i cant find straight forward answers, and after being into the citizens adice, all the did was print off the web pages, which are a load of horse s**t, as they never give a simple, straight forward answer in plan english... and my patience are running out..

Basically, im 21, on the disability allowance, not working and things have gone to pot in my mothers house and she wants me out, and im looking for somewhere to rent..

im on the disability allowance, which means i should be entitled to the house holds benefits package.. regarding that, and the free tv license part, i dont already have a tv license, on the application form, it asks for your current tv license number.. what do i do? do i pay for it and fill out the form? and if so will it be refunded? or does the post office give you one after the form is filled?

with rent allowance, everyone keeps telling me different things about it... whether im entitled to it or not, do you have to wait 6 months before getting it or not? or if your situation is dire, can you get it right away?

basically at the moment, i have no where to live, im staying with friends while i try save money for a deposit, first months rent and food etc.. is there any way the social welfare can help with that?

any advice would be appreciated..

ps. i dont want links to the social welfare or citizens info sites, as i've sifted through all of that bull, and been into them and none of them have helped. cheers

~Ted

Your attitude stinks dude, as all the links and print off do tell you exactly what you are entitled to, its you that is not understanding this

No you don't buy a tv licence just say you don't have one

Rent allowance is provided to people who have been renting for 6 out of the last 12 months and/or been assessed for social housing

If you are technically homeless then go to your local county council housing department so you can be assessed and they will put you in emergency accommodation if they deem you need it or find you social housing

Also go to your local cwo, but loose the attitude as it will get you nowhere and explain to them the situation only in special cases will they award rent supplement and can supply a deposit but they don't have to so be nice, the cwo will ask you to find your own private rental which is within the guidelines for your county and situation, once you do this then they will issue the deposit

There is lots of form filling and documents required and everybody has to do this and abide by the rules if your not willing to do this then you won't be helped

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Plus one to above! your attitude really does stink. You're entering into a realm where all the frontline workers are hugely overstretched and stressed and you're going to have to drop that if you want to get sorted.

Your first port of call is your Community Welfare Officer. Tell them what's going on and why you needed to leave home. They will advise you to go to the Local Authority. Don't skip this step as it proves you have been trying to sort out the situation and you'll be back to them once you follow the steps below.

Before approaching your Local Authority ( must be in the area you've lived for the past 5 years unless you've been in prison or other institution) print off and fill in their Social Housing Application form. Do this in full and make sure you have every piece of documentation required. There is no way around this and you will look like you are willing to take on some responsibility for your own situation if you have this done before approaching the Council.

You need to be crystal clear as to why you're not able to stay at your mothers.

If it's because the rules don't suit you, that won't wash with your local authority and you will be categorised as rendering yourself homeless. If that's the case, you're on your own, and will have to pay your own rent and deposit. Likewise if you live too far away from the 'action' or social scene, this won't be a good enough reason to expect the taxpayer to pay rent your rent. Basically, if you have a very good reason for being technically homeless, aka couch surfing, such as physical abuse reported to Gardai, or a parent who has such severe mental health issues as to pose a serious threat to you, that might be enough. Really depends on the Local Authority and how credible your story checks out - and it will be checked thoroughly so don't lie!

Councils have the role of gatekeepers now, in terms of keeping spending down on crash pads for kids who could continue to live at home and will have heard various stories as to why young adults want to fly the nest.

Ultimately, what you're looking for is a Letter of eligibility for Social Housing, which will in turn deem you eligible for rent supplement which you apply for through your Community Welfare Officer.

If you are eventually granted a letter of eligibility, you're still going to have to find accommodation in your area that comes within the 'capping level' for that area. I don't want to link the capping level document as you've requested people don't do that but you will find it on the net. Some Local Authority staff might help you to find a place, but that's not their responsibility so you will be relying on good will and contacts.

When you find the amount for your area on the list, that's the total you're allowed to pay, not the amount you will receive. You will have to pay a minimum of 30 per week yourself.

It's quite a long process and requires follow through from you, and also requires you to justify your position with regard to expecting this help from our bankrupt exchequer. Just try to rememember that it's help you're looking for when so many people are struggling, including those on the other side of whatever desk you happen to have to visit to get you where you want to go.

Eventually Local Authorities will take over the payment of rent supplements altogether and this will help to streamline operations somewhat. In the meantime bear in mind that the people providing the services didn't invent them and are just as frustrated as you are!

There's no point in applying for the Household Benefits Package until you have your new address sorted.

NB: If you're going to share with someone else there's a whole other set of rules!

Best of luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement