Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Screen Colour Problem

Options
  • 22-10-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

My Samsung TV is about 5 yrs old and has started changing colour after being on for a while, it changes to a purple/magenta hue, sometimes it reverts to normal colour again. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and whether it is worth fixing or should I bin it and get a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kig wrote: »
    My Samsung TV is about 5 yrs old and has started changing colour after being on for a while, it changes to a purple/magenta hue, sometimes it reverts to normal colour again. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and whether it is worth fixing or should I bin it and get a new one?

Is this happening across all inputs? i.e HDMI, Tuner, Composite, component?
    Or is it just affecting the HDMI input?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

When it started the HDMI feed seemed to be OK, but now it is happening across all feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Across all inputs points to a problem with the board.
    It could be a blown capacitor or drying solder, if you were anyway technical you could take a look yourself.
    Or if you're not, get an estimate from someone to diagnose and repair it.
    Won't be cheap so its upto yourself to work out which is more economical, repair or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

Is it possable you have non-magnetic screened speakers close to the tv? This can cause the problem and if left for a while the problem cannot be fixed.TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Hi tmull,
    I have had wharfdale speakers just behind the TV, but they've been there for years, could this still be the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

I am not sure. If you pass a non screened speaker in front of the tv screen at about a foot distance just watch the screen lose its colours.A screened speaker is designed to work alongside a tv.Maybe if you posted the model No.of your speakers in the Hi-FI or Home Cinima section on here someone may have the information you require. In the meantime why not remove your speakers and see how you get on? TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If it's an LCD or Plasma screen then magnetism won't effect it's colour purity. The OP mentioned HDMI sockets so I'd assume it's an LCD rather than a CRT screen.

Ken

Advertisement