Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Coffee Damage

Options
  • 22-10-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm in the right place. Spilled coffee all over my white unibody macbook keyboard at the right side last night (don't ask). It powered off straight away. I took the bottom off and dried it as much as I could. Put packs of silica gel on the motherboard and left it over night.

Tried to boot it today and the screen lit up but all it did was emit three loud beep in a row on repeat.

Am I screwed lads? Is it worth even sending for repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Take the back cover, unplug the battery. Leave it in hot press for at least 3-4 days, overnight is not enough. If you are lucky you might end up with faulty keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

Thanks for the reply. Have it in the hot press now alright. Hopefully it somehow resurrects itself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Dropped it into a fella that fixes macs for a living and he told em the processor and motherboard are fried. Absolutely sickened. Was hoping to move this laptop along for a few in a few months and upgrade to a pro. It was flawless prior to this! Any idea what I should do now? Would it be worth anything at all now even to sell it for parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

House insurance worth a call

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

The screen will be worth having. You can either sell it as a working screen (and maybe sell the battery and memory separately) or buy one with a broken screen and make a good one out of the two. Either way you can make a few quid but it won't cover the cost of a new one.

Thanks lads. I'll ring the insurance lads on Monday and check up ebay for parts I suppose??

Advertisement