Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Semi-formal"

Options
  • 22-10-2012 2:12pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pants and shirt? but not a full suit etc. It's probably the same as "business casual" which sounds like a mullet, business at the front, party at the back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Semi formal means wearing a suit these days.

You should check with the organisers to see if they actually meant semi-formal or if they really meant smart casual.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec wrote: »
    Probably just have to ask.
    This is the best course of action.

Another suggestion could be that if you had a navy suit with a blue shirt (white shirts look a little more formal imo), if it turned out to be a smart casual event for whatever reason, you could simply take off the jacket and the tie.

Very easy to dress down to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I had one of those recently, semi formal on invite, i assumed smart casual and went with that but it turned out to be suits, moderately awkward until my 4th gin, after that it was plain sailing.:)

Ask to be sure I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

From what I have experienced at events so far.

Formal = tux
    Semi formal = suit with tie and jacket
    Smart casual = shirt but no jacket or tie needed

The Mustard has the right way of things, dress with a tie and jacket just in case as these can be taken off to go more casual if needed but you can't go more formal of you started off dressing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Semi formal is not a suit.

Semi formal is a jacket and trousers/slacks and shirt. A tie is not obligatory. The jacket doesn't have to match the slacks/trousers.

The fact that some people chose to play 'safe' and suit up is just their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's easy to dress down when dressed up (removing tie, etc.) as other posters have said.

While you might not have to go with a suit, a blazer/jacket with some nice slacks is no harm. Wear a nice shirt and a tie.

Just promise this: if wearing black/dark slacks, DO NOT wear white socks! Black socks only! Big time...

DazMarz wrote: »
    DO NOT wear white socks! Black socks only! Big time...
    Why not ? White is good. I hate these 'rules'....

Piliger wrote: »

White socks will go splendidly with a white suit. The man from Delmonte says yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

White socks will go splendidly with a white suit. The man from Delmonte says yes.

Sorry, to clarify: white socks with black trousers and black shoes looks awful.

White socks go with blue jeans, white suits, etc.

There's a time and a place for white socks; NOT with black trousers.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Sorry, to clarify: white socks with black trousers and black shoes looks awful.

White socks go with blue jeans, white suits, etc.

There's a time and a place for white socks; NOT with black trousers.

So says our fashion guru ........ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Hawaiian shirt, knee length shorts and sandals????

I always thought that formal is black tie and semi formal is suit possibly without tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So says our fashion guru ........ :confused:

He's right.

Ask a tailor next time you get a suit what socks your should wear with it. Ideally your socks should be as dark as the shoes you are wearing them with.
    White socks are a major taste mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

MadsL wrote: »
    He's right.

Ask a tailor next time you get a suit what socks your should wear with it. Ideally your socks should be as dark as the shoes you are wearing them with.
    White socks are a major taste mistake.

Well I'd say rather to match your socks to your trouser leg, not shoes.

Strictly speaking semi-formal is black tie.
    Formal being white tie and tails.

Best to call to confirm; stupid to put this on an invite - most events will be;

Casual - jeans and T shirt
    Smart Casual - Funky shirt and smart trousers
    Business casual - Shirt and chinos/smart trousers type of thing
    Business Formal - suited and booted +tie
    Black Tie
    White Tie

enda1 wrote: »
    Well I'd say rather to match your socks to your trouser leg, not shoes.

Meh.

I've always felt it easier to match socks to shoes - I have several grey suits, always worm with black shoes. I find black socks better with the grey suits than trying to find the shade.

It ends up with

Light grey suit > light grey socks > black shoes.

Except next day cant find dark grey socks to wear with dark suit, ah light grey socks will do, and it looks wrong.

Drawerful of black and dark brown socks works for me.

One exception to the white socks rule.

Very comfy with cowboy boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Well the junction of the top of the shoe is lost when blurred with a similarly coloured sock. The trouser hem moves up and down the leg exposing more or less ankle and shin. The same coloured sock gives continuity to the look and shows you're not wearing boots (same coloured shoes and socks).

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Formal, semi-formal and so on are relative to the age and culture you live in.

A hundred years ago semi-formal was a tuxedo. Formal was white tie and tails. A pre-made bow-tie would have been a major faux pas (still is in some circles).

Today a tuxedo is formal, while white tie and tails are only worn for novelty value or in a handful of events, none of which take place in Ireland.

In somewhere like Italy or France, semi-formal would include a jacket or blazer, jeans and no tie.

In Ireland, semi-formal would probably still require a tie, but you'd probably get away with only a blazer and jeans. To be on the safe side though trousers or even a full suit.

Smart and casual is a more modern concept which just means what you'd wear if you were going out to a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Hey OP I'd go with a suit definitely

Once you dont rock up wearing a tux when you shouldn't you can never be over dressed

Better to look as if you made an effort than to turn and be red faced becuase you have under dressed!

Arrive in the suit and dress it down (take off tie & jacket) if the occasion merits.

A pre-made bow-tie would have been a major faux pas (still is in some circles).

Including mine, much to my wife's exasperation as I'm on my fourth attempt as the taxi is beeping again.

Fathers, teach your daughters how to help a man tie his bowtie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

MadsL wrote: »
    Fathers, teach your daughters how to help a man tie his bowtie. :)
    Better still, teach your sons how to tie one themselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,094 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would have thought that semi formal was similar to smart/casual. Maybe business style slacks, dressy/business style shirt, shoes. Or even a tie with the shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

White socks at a social event on De Nord Side = Socially acceptable
    White socks at a social event on The Southside = Well......, I don't know really, never seen it :confused:

Advertisement