Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbatim "Black Edition" Series 128GB SSD on Aria (£50.99/€62.56)

Options
  • 22-10-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Really cheap SSD on Aria here .

Its £50.99 + Free delivery to UK/NI. If you have a Parcel Motel or other forwarding address you can get it pretty cheap. Otherwise though, delivery to Irish address is £ 31.95
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

delivery charge is £11.95 even using Parcel Motel's NI delivery address. check you facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I tried ordering something from Aria (PSU, 2x SATA DVD drives and some misc small bits). Used parcel motel and was happy enough with the expensive NI shipping.

Got an e-mail about 30mins after placing the order asking me for proof of identity as the delivery address was different than the billing (fair enough).

Provided the proof and got back an e-mail asking why the addresses were different. Thought that was a bit weird and none of their business, but explained it was a parcel delivery service.

Heard nothing back for the next day, so e-mailed them again asking if my order had been accepted (online just said Pending).

Heard nothing back for another day, so e-mailed AGAIN.

After 3 days of hearing nothing, I sent them on online note requesting them to cancel my order as they were obviously utterly incompetent.

I finally got a reply the next morning telling me that "Unfortunately we are unable to deliver to a Parcel forwarding company so we are going to have to cancel your order due to security reasons" :rolleyes:

It's not legal to discriminate on delivery like that (i.e. if they ship to an area, they don't get to blacklist certain areas within that larger area just because they want to) and what made it more annoying is that they instantly charged my debit card and took over a week to refund it.

TLDR: Don't every buy from aria.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

They probably just wanted to screw for the roi shipping.

Which is one thing, taking 4 working days to decide to cancel my order and keeping a hold of the money for a further 4 are another!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Tragedy wrote: »

Hmmm, point taken. Might see if I can cancel before they do when I get home.
    yoshimitsu wrote: »
    delivery charge is £11.95 even using Parcel Motel's NI delivery address. check you facts

Not sure why I wasn't charged postage for NI, maybe because I used google checkout instead of their own?
    digitaldr wrote: »
    They probably just wanted to screw for the roi shipping.

Outside of Amazon, Dabs and Komplett I can think of any non Irish retailer that doesn't seem to want to charge a premium for delivery. :(

• Advertisement

Xzen wrote: »
    Hmmm, point taken. Might see if I can cancel before they do when I get home.

Not sure why I wasn't charged postage for NI, maybe because I used google checkout instead of their own?

Outside of Amazon, Dabs and Komplett I can think of any non Irish retailer that doesn't seem to want to charge a premium for delivery. :(
    Overclockers.co.uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Tragedy wrote: »
    I tried ordering something from Aria (PSU, 2x SATA DVD drives and some misc small bits). Used parcel motel and was happy enough with the expensive NI shipping.

Got an e-mail about 30mins after placing the order asking me for proof of identity as the delivery address was different than the billing (fair enough).

Provided the proof and got back an e-mail asking why the addresses were different. Thought that was a bit weird and none of their business, but explained it was a parcel delivery service.

Heard nothing back for the next day, so e-mailed them again asking if my order had been accepted (online just said Pending).

Heard nothing back for another day, so e-mailed AGAIN.

After 3 days of hearing nothing, I sent them on online note requesting them to cancel my order as they were obviously utterly incompetent.

I finally got a reply the next morning telling me that "Unfortunately we are unable to deliver to a Parcel forwarding company so we are going to have to cancel your order due to security reasons" :rolleyes:

It's not legal to discriminate on delivery like that (i.e. if they ship to an area, they don't get to blacklist certain areas within that larger area just because they want to) and what made it more annoying is that they instantly charged my debit card and took over a week to refund it.

I don't understand the rationale there. Surely in this day and age turning down sales for such a petty reason is economic madness. The only reason I can think of is, they don't know where the eventual destination is and there may be restrictions under UK anti terrorist legislation. Bit extreme though as if they were to send it to any address it could still end up in the hands of terrorists.

bmaxi wrote: »
    I don't understand the rationale there. Surely in this day and age turning down sales for such a petty reason is economic madness. The only reason I can think of is, they don't know where the eventual destination is and there may be restrictions under UK anti terrorist legislation. Bit extreme though as if they were to send it to any address it could still end up in the hands of terrorists.

They never know the eventual destination, any home address could be a forwarding address (e.g. I live in an apartment block and regularly get goods delivered to my parents).

The only reason I can think of is they're incompetent tbh!

there are also probably VAT issues with delivering parcel motel to be fwd'd from the UK to the Republic (note amazon different prices when sent to republic due to VAT rates). I use them myself but wonder how long this will last...

glasso wrote: »
    there are also probably VAT issues with delivering parcel motel to be fwd'd from the UK to the Republic (note amazon different prices when sent to republic due to VAT rates). I use them myself but wonder how long this will last...

Separate invoice and delivery address.

Invoice is Ireland (matching to card) and delivery is NI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement