Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** Tue 23/10 20:15 WES2 v Fabulous Benedictine Monks

Options
  • 22-10-2012 9:08am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Big game tomorrow.
    The Monks like us have had a less than impressive start, but they have been in the mix in the top 3 for the last 3 seasons, we'll need to put in a performance like last week to come away with 3 points.

Dave - in
    Jules -
    Wes - in
    Cathal - in
    Conor - in
    Keith P - in
    Derek - out
    Darren - in
    Gar - in
    Keith R - in
    Ciaran -
    Clay - in
    Collie - in
    Pete -
    Mark - in
    Damian - in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Darren.

In

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I Am In For This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

In

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Really frustrating that. Really really frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

Well, did we win?
    Derek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Lost 2-1.

One nil up at half-time. Conceded two sloppy goals in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

My 2 Cents.

for about 40 minutes of that game I don't think Clay had a save to make.
    Then we imploded, I think gar was left to mark a center half who was 6ft + and easily the best header of the ball on the field, there was a miss communication where 2 people on our team tackled each other and it led to a goal.

We passed the ball well and kept it on the ground in the 1st half, whether people got tired or not who knows but it just turned into hoofing it up the pitch as hard as we can and bypassing the routes that got us ahead in the 1st place. This is when a bit of composure goes a long way keeping the ball in the latter stages of a game and making them chase would have absolutely killed them.

This notion that the ball needs to travel forward EVERY-TIME you get it honestly needs to be addressed, if people are covered and have no space forward you pass it back or to the side to someone who is in space, if the guy is not comfortable receiving the ball well he shouldn't be playing. Don't moan at the player passing it back or to the sides especially if a player behind him calls for it and especially when the only option is to hit it forward and give it away. The game is about retention making your opponents chase the ball and pulling them out of position you do this by making yourself heard screaming for the ball and giving an option, the only option on the team is not the forwards, if it is then there is no point in playing the game. The only time the ball should be battered up front is if someone is tearing down on you or you are behind your own 18yrd line with no where to go, too many times people think the ball is a hot potato and hit it as high in the air as possible,that's not football it's punting.

The reason we lost last night conceding both goals in the last 17 minutes was because the ball kept coming back at us because the guys up front had broke their backs running around for 45 minutes chasing every ball over the top. They couldn't do it anymore, by the way this is not a damnation of our forwards as they were awesome last night and couldn't have done any more. We shouldn't be hitting the ball up to two people who are exhausted from giving their all we should be trying to help them out not asking them to make 40 yard runs into the corner aimlessly chasing balls that skid off the surface.

Also Foul throws, I mean honestly we make about 2-3 a game, just keep your legs on the floor and release the ball before it goes past your head, it doesn't have to go down the line every single time where you have to over stretch, just do it quick and easy behind or to the side. believe it or not teams throw the ball back or to the side to players who are free :)

Shooting at every tip off or trying to run past 11 players, please stop doing this, it's beyond moronic.

I'm not having a go here, honestly just trying to give constructive criticism.
    I was screaming for the ball in the middle last night and barely got passed too, I may as well have been a net at a tennis match watching the ball go over my head the entire game back and forth. And it was so frustrating.

I'm not faultless here I realize I have my faults (Heading) :) but I'd just like to go out and bring the game to the opposition the way football should be played, the way we played in the friendlies when we played great football.
    It's like we are nervous, honestly it's not premiership football we're playing there is no need to be nervous if you give it away by trying the RIGHT thing then tell the person who moans at you to **** off, the problem is we don't try the right thing and we're losing as a result.

Advertisement