Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Squash Racket, were? how much?

Options
  • 21-10-2012 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I play twice a week, practice during the week, and now I am playing in my first Saturday League. I've been playing 20 years with friends but would I like to play better people now and get better.
    How much should I spend on a racket?
    I did try one that cost 200 euro that a guy had and it was lovely. You could really hit the ball hard and fast. My current racket cost 70 euro and needs re stringing, I was just wondering should I leave it and just buy a new one.
    Is ebay the best place to buy?
    And if so what ones should i consider?
    Would decent squash shoes help?
    I am playing in nike running runners at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

100-150 should get you a decent racket but it's a very individual thing. Best thing to do is go to a shop where you can try out a few rackets and see which one suits best. The shop at sutton tennis club has lots of rackets and they will let you try them out. The guy there Eoin is really helpful. The shop at Fitzwilliam are supposed to be really good too with regards advice on rackets.

It's worth getting your racket restrung anyway and see if it makes a difference. If you go to a decent shop they should be able to advise you.

I wouldn't buy a racket on ebay unless you've tried it out before and know the racket you want.

I'd defiintely recommend squash shoes. Much better grip which is important and support in the right places. Plus if you're playing league and visiting other clubs, many clubs will not be happy if you turn up in black soled runners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I went to Fitzwilliam club shop, he looked at my old racket and said it wasn't worth re stringing, it would cost more to do then the racket was worth. So he showed me a second hand racket they'd re strung with good strings and new grip, 3o euro is all he charged, and with the money I saved on the racket I bought shoes.
    And I tried them out on Thursday, and it feels like a much better racket then I was using, can really hit the ball fast, and the shoes feel good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Martyn Evans Sports at Fitzwilliam Tennis Club is always the answer to where to get equipment for racket sports.
    They are not on commision so wont try to sell you the most expensive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I was surprised when the guy suggested a second hand racket right away, but I really like it and it's a big improvement on what I was using.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

glad to hear you got sorted abceire

• Advertisement
Advertisement