Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing a pinball machine

Options
  • 21-10-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭

OK, as the title says I'm gonig to try and get myself a pinball machine.

I'll sell my cab because I really want to get a pinball machine and hopefully sort myself out with a blast city or something nice in the new year.

I'm making a thread because I want to know if anyone knows of any for sale, or has any for sale around the country. Or any info I should know for getting one.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

there's one here dont know if its what your after.. its not mine just came across it
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-toys-games/pinball-and-arcade-machine/2226656

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah I wouldn't bee too familiar with repairing pinball machines and that sounds like it need a lot of work. More than likely the boards it seems from having a bit of a read around.

I'd like to get something thats playable from the get go and work on it if i have to like

Thanks though, first one on adverts in a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

AFAIK our old friend Mitchomagic has a couple of pinballs in stock. PM him from this forum and see what he has.

I tired contacting him a few weeks ago but I didn't get a reply

I'm sure theres a few around the place though, just a matter of finding a nice one

I have a Maverick i might sell. depends what you are looking for i suppose.

• Advertisement

I heard Mavrick is a nice machine. I'd really like to get a film/tv licensed one, or a Theatre of Magic, although that might be very hard to get haha

Did you have to restore yours?

it was ok when i got it, had to do a few bits to make it 100% play wise. I have it around 2 years now just looking for a change.

Is it hard to work on them or just seems a bit daunting?

a bit daunting, good info available on the net, good gang of people on here. A bit of reading + handy with a soldering iron and no bother. If you are any way brave and handy should be no problem. Anyone dealing with classic arcade stuff probably has those qualities already.

Ah I've modded a few consoles and stuff so I'd say I could be alright, with bravery id be fine anyway haha

Hopefully I hear from Mitch and that he has some in stock

Have to go about selling my cab aswell

• Advertisement

Ah I've modded a few consoles and stuff so I'd say I could be alright, with bravery id be fine anyway haha

Hopefully I hear from Mitch and that he has some in stock

Have to go about selling my cab aswell

what sort of cab have you got and what you looking for it??
    could be interested... im mid build of my mame cab but on the look out for more

Jack, have you given any thought to making a digital pinball machine out of a couple of LCD screens?

I know it's the old "emulation versus the real thing" argument again, and the real thing is very cool, but pinball machines take a lot of upkeep and parts are getting trickier to get now. Also they are big and loud, and most people don't have room for more than one.

Something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xqk_0z0Qv0w#t=21s

For me it's a toss up between emulation and actually owning a real piece of arcade history, and ideally i'd have both, but in terms of the actual amount of games i could play, if i had space for just one pinball machine (which i don't) i would probably go digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That is very impressive and I didnt think those emulators could look as good. Id consider doing one of those eventually but I'd really be hoping to get the real thing first, always wanted one! I'd prefer to get one and put some work and time into it.

I have a Naomi Universal that will be up for sale soon Andrew

EnterNow wrote: »
    Very impressive

Yeah, one of those has been on the top of my "want but can't have" list for a while now. My former games room is now a baby nursery, and while the missus is cool about a small arcade cab in the corner of the living room, she was understandably less impressed with the idea of a full sized pinball machine.

I had to pass up a 42" LCD screen that would have been perfect for it from a friend who was emigrating a few months ago. I could have got it for €100. Needless to say, I was gutted...:(

Ah! no! Kill you pass up stuff like that, Had to pass up a MR2 AW11 for cheap a while ago

aw11aka2006b.jpg

Well I have nobody to tell me where to put cabs and not so I'm only limited by the space I have, which isnt that much :(

You could always build this mini one though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNayS3jf6Us

That is very impressive and I didnt think those emulators could look as good. Id consider doing one of those eventually but I'd really be hoping to get the real thing first, always wanted one! I'd prefer to get one and put some work and time into it.

I have a Naomi Universal that will be up for sale soon Andrew

cheers jack will keep my eye out for when it comes up

Just had a look at a Shadow pinball machine.

Really nice machine and in great condition. Problem is the price, the chap is looking for in about €1500 for it. Thats including putting in a led kit and all new solenoids and rubbers etc. I'm not sure if this is a good price or not for it. Anyone got an idea of where I should go next with this or for that price could I be getting something a lot better?

Shadow would be very collectable, if it is getting all new stuff including full led's then it is an ok price imho. led's alone are not cheap lot of bulbs in a pinball machine.
    Go play it make sure your happy and see what the smell of cash does to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just organised and received a X-Men pinball machine, Stern are making them still. Crazy money for them, stayed away from a 90's table as if they go wrong its meant to be a PITA to fix. I'd personally never get one :) I got bored very quickly but its in a games room in work so it gets a good use.

A Hyperspin table - just seems like your doing the orignal tables a mis-service :) theres one thing emulating arcade games in a cab but emulating a physical table doesn't make much sense to me.

Each to their own though! :pac:

• Advertisement

Well see they guy selling it would only put all the new stuff in it if I was buying it. One of its boards was replaced aswell and they are all very clean. Its hard to see how much they go for on average though.

Here's one, that went for about €1750. The machine wouldn't depreciate in value either would it really? Plus if I get this translite it would be very smart looking haha

Just thinking for the sake of another few weeks of saving or selling one or 2 bits from my collection would it be worth it? Starting to think it would be, but would I be able to get another machine of that quality for the price?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just organised and received a X-Men pinball machine, Stern are making them still. Crazy money for them, stayed away from a 90's table as if they go wrong its meant to be a PITA to fix.

Thats another 2 things, repair and would I get bored. For the money I'd spend on it I could have a monster of an arcade cab or even 2 for the price.

Ah I'm in 2 minds about it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've always wanted a good pinball - and I'm sure for €1500 it's really in amazing condition.

But as you said, €1500 is almost two cabs. You could get two lovely candies delivered to your door.

I'd say you'd get far more play time out of two cabs than the one pinball.

Yeah, its a tough one. Could get myself a nice candy and have it full kitted out for a lot less than that. But a pinball would be quite a piece to have, but I'm hardly getting the bargain of the century with it aswell

Master of the Universe

Are you a member over on Arcade Otaku? It's worth it for the sales forum alone. Ronnie has a candy cab thread and always updates the first post with a new one he has for sale.

Nice Neo 29 up at the moment. Needs a bit of retrobright work, but still looks great.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16732

I was literally just looking at that exact cab haha

Master of the Universe

Other than that yellowing, there really isn't a ding on it. Lovely cabinet.

Yeah, some retrobrite and be some minty goodness right there

Thinking about this in work today, I'm kind of leaning towards a new cab. I'd love a pinball but a nice cab would suit me better id say, get more use out of it. I have the Naomi but I think a nice sit down would be the business!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Rotate the Naomi vertically and connect up a Dreamcast via the VGA box. That would be amazing :)

Then get a sit down candy for all your horizontal needs.

Advertisement