Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLAN 11b mini USB Adapter (XWL-11BUSX) - windows 7 driver

Options
  • 21-10-2012 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

WLAN 11b mini USB Adapter (XWL-11BUSX)

i'm looking for a widows 7 (i have 64bit windows if that matters?) driver for this. can anyone help out?

their website (http://www.x-micro.com/main-support_download.php) only provides up to xp and i have tried getting win7 to recognise these drivers without success.

open to other suggestions (that dont involve a new wifi adapter).

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

that link doesn't point at the card and cba to go through the motions

you will need a 64 bit hardware driver

if you can find a vista 64 bit driver and want to risk it you can start up 7 in a special mode to allow unsigned drivers to be installed - really only when all else fails or for using trusted opensource stuff that you know will never fork out for microsoft approval

TBH. If the card comes from a reputable company and it's recent then I'd consider it a black mark if they don't provide drivers. If the card is over 5 years old then the only reason for them to provide drivers if they are being nice.

If it's someone like Belkin who just rebadge other (lowest bidder) kit then you need to find the original / compatible cards.

In device manager look at card properties to see the vendor / hardware ID's and google them, this will usually take you to a linux page that will hopefully list similar cards and try those.

USB WiFi cards are cheap unless the 'a' means it does 5GHz or it has other rare features I'd consider replacing it.

If all else fails you could use virtualbox to setup a 32 bit XP client OS and use the card through it, but that's only for scanning and stuff , forget about sharing the connection back to the host, that's just for heros and masochists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

you know what, its an old "b" standard wifi adapter that i was hoping to get running with win7. it was a dead handy backup to have on xp. its just not worth the effort being put into it here as you say though :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are a few USB WiFi / Ethernet cards that work without additional drivers with XP, handy things to have around when setting up a machine.

Otherwise ask around and you'll probably pick up a replacement for a fiver or a pint

Advertisement