Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantine Doherty 3rd place at Junior World Championships in Auckland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

PGF wrote: »
    http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/wian_sullwald_runs_away_to_2012_itu_junior_mens_world_championship/

Great result after an aggressive bike and he still has 2 more years as a junior...

i raced against him in the summer, he's a weapon, the swim is lightning fast already and the boy's only going to get better on the other two disciplines. he devestated all the self appointed big guns with seemingly little effort.

he's so young and so good, i don't think we've had many coming through so young at the elite level in ireland, i think he's the real deal as long as he stays in the sport which will be difficult for one so young with so many other potential distractions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Great to see this! Fingers crossed his development continues to go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fantastic result, hope he continues improving as he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Great result for Con. It must have been like racing in Ireland with all the rain there!

Knowing how many hours he puts into training at such a young age, he is a great example to everyone of the power of hard work. If you don't put it in then you won't get anything out of it. The right mix of talent and hard work and you can take on the world.

I can't see him going off the rails when he gets older. He seems to live for the sport. Results like this make it easier to envision a professional career in triathlon and that heightens the chances of staying at it.

Well done to Triathlon Ireland as well for putting the structures in place to secure results like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great result for Con. It must have been like racing in Ireland with all the rain there!

Knowing how many hours he puts into training at such a young age, he is a great example to everyone of the power of hard work. If you don't put it in then you won't get anything out of it. The right mix of talent and hard work and you can take on the world.

I can't see him going off the rails when he gets older. He seems to live for the sport. Results like this make it easier to envision a professional career in triathlon and that heightens the chances of staying at it.

Well done to Triathlon Ireland as well for putting the structures in place to secure results like this.
    +1 great result and very impressive dedication for someone so young. Indicative of the HP swim team. Hopefully it holds and TI back him

On another note, just bookmarked your blog. Makes sense how you compete at the top nationally. Very eager to follow your progress to LD. Best of luck. The one swim tip you gave me one morning still sticks ! You have a great attitude to sport IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

+1 - fantastic result!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

+1 Great result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Fantastic result by a very hard working and committed young man. He is a beacon for other young athletes in the high performance squad and also the development squad..
    Well done to his Coaches as well who sometimes don't get and credit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Delighted for Con, a nice lad who works v hard. His parents back from what I can see is very hands on, his younger brother was out with us seniors a few times this year and at 14 he is going to be strong.
    Con first appeared down here at the Harlequin Duathlon at 15 and either finished 2nd or 3rd, no one had even heard of the lad.
    Hopefully he can keep clear of the usual things in front of a lad his age (drugs and rock and roll :D) and if he can this lad is going to be serious.

This will have a serious positive effect on the young people down here in Westport and I am sure it will encourage them along also.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

yop wrote: »
    Delighted for Con, a nice lad who works v hard. His parents back from what I can see is very hands on, his younger brother was out with us seniors a few times this year and at 14 he is going to be strong.
    Con first appeared down here at the Harlequin Duathlon at 15 and either finished 2nd or 3rd, no one had even heard of the lad.
    Hopefully he can keep clear of the usual things in front of a lad his age (drugs and rock and roll :D) and if he can this lad is going to be serious.

This will have a serious positive effect on the young people down here in Westport and I am sure it will encourage them along also.

Irish Brownlees in the making??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Irish Brownlees in the making??

Probably too early, so many promising players/athletes come through with big careers but life doesn't follow that path. Be it school/college social/love etc, so many factors.
    But Con is something special in my opinion. His brother I can't comment to be v honest, but he had the determination to get out of bed on craps mornings to cycle with men, I can't think of too many other 14 yr olds that would do that!

It would be fantastic if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

On another note, just bookmarked your blog. Makes sense how you compete at the top nationally. Very eager to follow your progress to LD. Best of luck. The one swim tip you gave me one morning still sticks ! You have a great attitude to sport IMO

OT I know, but can you share this with us?

Lord knows I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Mike.

Zico10:swim problem = 'putting the breaks on' possibly from over reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

And a link to the blog???? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    And a link to the blog???? ;)

Exactly,

Went googling in vain last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BTH wrote: »
    Exactly,

Went googling in vain last night.

Usually peoples signatures are a good place to start looking! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Usually peoples signatures are a good place to start looking! ;)

Signature?? I'm lost.

And I'm sorry I asked about the blog. 20km swimming ans 300miles biking :eek:

Anyway, thats too much off topic for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

yop wrote: »

Con won the Harlequin Duathlon by a big margin in 2011, when he was 15. I met his mother at the finish and she told me he was already in McDonalds:).
    A strong field that year too.

There's a good picture of him on the podium, even though he's on the top step he looks shorter than the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

snailsong wrote: »
    Con won the Harlequin Duathlon by a big margin in 2011, when he was 15.

He was even younger when he came third or fourth in Galway Cope in 2010 behind the Bolger brothers, it was the name Constantine that caught my eye originally though - certainly not a common Mayo name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

He was on off the ball this evening. Just before 9 I think. Worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

catweazle wrote: »
    He was even younger when he came third or fourth in Galway Cope in 2010 behind the Bolger brothers, it was the name Constantine that caught my eye originally though - certainly not a common Mayo name!

Didn't know he was Constantine until I read this thread, always hear him referred to as Con. Appropriate though, he's imperious in his performance.

I think he came third or fourth in the Harlequin when he was 14, might be what Yop was thinking of.

Advertisement