Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Garmin to go for?

Options
  • 21-10-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I've had a Garmin 305 forerunner for over 4 years. The time has come to upgrade!

The issue is that I don't know what Garmin model / other gps to upgrade to. I previously used the gps for running only - time, distance, overall pace, current pace were the vital stats for me. I am not so concerned about the more advanced features- virtual training partner, saved routes etc...

Lately, I've started cycling-my new bike has Ant+ sensors already installed which I'm not currently using.

I want a gps which I can easily use for both running and cycling. Ideally, I would like to make use of the Ant+ sensors already on my bike. What Gps unit would people recommend for me? Should I go for an expensive forerunner model or perhaps both a cheap forerunner 10 and an edge 500?

Thanks for your help!

Reference link below posted in a previous boards post (thanks Glasso!)
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Wo8yCZ1eTVw/TaP_ec3iGdI/AAAAAAAAprQ/JoTReaGfMQs/s1600-h/image%5B53%5D.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

20%, plus another 10% off at wiggle, I splurged 200Aud (160Eur) on the Edge 500 just now....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i've a 410 i use for both cycling and running, very handy for the cycling with the cadence censor on the bike. don't think i'd fancy having two seperate units

also, compare amazon prices to wiggle, amazon has been way cheaper any time i've looked

mossym wrote: »
    i've a 410 i use for both cycling and running, very handy for the cycling with the cadence censor on the bike. don't think i'd fancy having two seperate units

also, compare amazon prices to wiggle, amazon has been way cheaper any time i've looked

also www.handtec.co.uk can be priced well.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Thanks for the handtec reference-prices look very competitive. I am Australia baezed - Amazon.co.uk, although cheaper, would not ship overseas.

I've been using a gps application on my phone for cycling into work. It is really annoying me-the exact same commute is measuring anywhere between 9km and 10km each trip. I did a few laps around the local park today and the gps application didn't recognise the 2nd lap for whatever reason. Sooner i start using the Edge 500 the better!

I'll be very happy to have a bike specific unit- I had a bike mount for the forerunner 305 - it did the job but it's a real pain taking off and putting the strap back on the actual unit every time I switched between running and cycling. It was also slightly dangerous trying to look at my stats with the 305 on my wrist while cycling!

I'll give an update on my first impressions of the Edge 500 when I start using it!

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have the Edge 500 and it is fantastic. I have used it for running also, but I don't run much so was just holding it in my hand and it works great. you can get a strap to attach it to your wrist.
    As you bike already has Ant+ sensors, it should work perfectly with the 500. Must be some bike :) what is it?

Anyway, I don't have time to search for a link now, but I have put up a good few posts in the cycling forum about the Edge 500 so take a look over there at mine and others reviews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement