Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusable nappies - Baba + Boo

Options
  • 20-10-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I'm due my first baby in feb and I'd like to use reusable nappies. I searched through the web before I came across the Baba & Boo ones, they're the cheapest I've seen anywhere and the cutest too! Just wondering if anyone else tried them? And is there anywhere in the ROI where I can actually get the disposable nappy liners? I don't want to have to travel up the north for them. Oh, and how many would I need for a newborn? I'm going for the 20 starter pack but would I need more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

There is a nappy library the you can try different brands from - might be a good idea to try before buying them. Sorry I can't remember the site off hand but google it and it should come up

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

You can get liners in mothercare. I've never heard of that brand. The cloth nappy library has a Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

You can get liners in mothercare. I've never heard of that brand. The cloth nappy library has a Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

thanks Kitty, I didn't hear about these before but they seem more reasonable than the ones I've seen before. I'll probably get a starter pack and can let you know how I get on, my little one is due in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

They do seem quite good value.

We're using Fuzzi Bunz one size nappies for our little man (5 weeks now) and find them really good. The nappies and liners dry on a clothes horse overnight and they're very adjustable (the elastic in the legs and back as well as multiple popper settings) so you can custom the fit for your baby very easily.

As others said you can get liners in Mothercare, but you can also buy flushable biodegradable liners from earthmother.ie or hipbaby.ie.

I would advise either borrowing or buying one each of a number of different reusable nappies before committing yourself so you can give them a good trial. We did that and it was good because the nappies I would have gone with turned out to be extremely bulky and take forever to dry. We'd have given up and used disposables by now if we'd had them.

We bought 24 nappies, enough to do two-three days without laundry at the beginning.

Also, I suggest buying washable wipes, either bamboo or terry. They're great, you use them with water and just wash them with the nappies.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kvicka

we bought 40 re usable ones (bamboo) from this web site in the uk:
    http://www.naturalnursery.co.uk/
    They are loveyl and soft, but seemt o take a while to dry. We pais a little less than 400EUR. A friend of mine reckommended them to us. If ya hang in there for another 3 weeks i may just be able to tell you how they are in reality:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kitty113

xiwang wrote: »
    thanks Kitty, I didn't hear about these before but they seem more reasonable than the ones I've seen before. I'll probably get a starter pack and can let you know how I get on, my little one is due in December.

Aw congrats yeah you'll have to let us know if you do get them :) good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

At the risk of sounding like a total evangelist. I love Baba and Boo!! I cant recommend them highly enough.
    I have 4 different brands of resuable nappies and Baba and Boo are far cheaper and just as good as the leading brands. I have 24-28 nappies in total (2 I dont use - different brand, wrap nappy, dont like and 2 were bought as small sizes, again different brand. DD has grown out of them). The other thing is the customer service with Baba and Boo is excellent. I'm sure the woman (Eve)is never away from her compter as she is always at the end to answer questions. She also has a FB page where you can post your cloth nappy questions and you can discuss any brand of nappy, not just hers.
    The liners can be bought on-line and as others said in Mothercare and some other baby shops around and about. I tend to rince them if they are just wet rather than soiled and so a roll lasts for ages!
    Happy to answer any cloth nappy questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

so how are people getting on with the nappies? im doing some research into them and its a bit mind boggling. Im due in june and would like to be somewhat prepared for the new arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

sunshiner wrote: »
    so how are people getting on with the nappies? im doing some research into them and its a bit mind boggling. Im due in june and would like to be somewhat prepared for the new arrival.

we're also thinking of using reusable nappies and it is confusing! Starting to do research now - I like the idea of trying them out from the nappy library. Do people just wash them to test them out? Not sure how you'd test how absorptive they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Haven`t heard of that brand but im using Bambino Mio reusables.
    When I went to the baby show in rds I paid €240 for the "birth to potty" pack
    They`re a linen type nappy the you fold to suit baby`s size and put into a plastic pants that closes with velcro
    :)
    The pack had
    24 size 1 nappies
    24 size 2 nappies
    Velcro pants
    4 newborn
    3 small
    4 medium
    3 extra large
    A bucket (usually has a bit of water + washing powder in it til the machine goes on every second eve)
    nappy liners

:)
    I use a disposable nappy overnight or when we`re out and about but i don`t wanna be carrying a shi tty nappy around all day so that way we only spent a fraction of the usual cost
    Also we got a few packs of aldi newborn for the first 2 weeks til we were into our routine!!

I'm not sure how you test them out without a baby because some fit baby's legs better than others and that just depends on your own baby. I got 21 to start with and had a mixture to start but mainly the ones with the pocket in them as oppose to wrap around ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We're getting on great with FuzziBunz one size elite. It was trial and error but they work a treat. Use Pampers overnight due to leaks otherwise and on days out. I have 18 and we usually get three days out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kitty113

I just had to let use know that I have purchased the baba and boo 20 starter pack. They came very quickly - I ordered them on the Saturday and got them the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Their customer service is excellent! I got an email just after I bought them after paying €246.30 when it was converted from £, saying that they were having a sale on, so I emailed them back asking to have the discount added and they refunded me the difference no bother! Fair play to them! The nappies themselves are funky and cute and although I've only tested them out on dolls and teddys (my baby's not due just yet) they are very easy and simple to use, just like disposable ones. I'm delighted I came across this brand they really are the best value around and the designs are just adorable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Kitty113 wrote: »
    I just had to let use know that I have purchased the baba and boo 20 starter pack. They came very quickly - I ordered them on the Saturday and got them the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Their customer service is excellent! I got an email just after I bought them after paying €246.30 when it was converted from £, saying that they were having a sale on, so I emailed them back asking to have the discount added and they refunded me the difference no bother! Fair play to them! The nappies themselves are funky and cute and although I've only tested them out on dolls and teddys (my baby's not due just yet) they are very easy and simple to use, just like disposable ones. I'm delighted I came across this brand they really are the best value around and the designs are just adorable!

I've just been doing a bit of research after reading your post and really like the look of the baba and boo ones - had my husband next to me and he was oddly interested! Not a bad price either. We looked at some other brands too and lots of youtube videos of people putting nappies on babies!

Yay! I'm delighted you got on so well with baba and boo. It really has the best customer service I've ever come across!

Advertisement