Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queueing for a bus

Options
  • 20-10-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Since I started using buses again in Dublin I've noticed that people waiting for a bus no longer seem to form a queue.

Take Aston Quay for example where there are several bus stops. People are scattered around the place until a bus arrives and then there is a melee – pushing and shoving to get on board first.

What I had expected was the orderly queue that I had been used to. Instead of that people will try to shoulder you aside even though you have stood patiently at the stop the way that it used to be.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Its the Ryanair effect! Seats are scarse, standing room fills fast and the next bus fifteen/twenty minutes. Some locations are a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Condatis wrote: »
    Since I started using buses again in Dublin I've noticed that people waiting for a bus no longer seem to form a queue.

Take Aston Quay for example where there are several bus stops. People are scattered around the place until a bus arrives and then there is a melee – pushing and shoving to get on board first.

What I had expected was the orderly queue that I had been used to. Instead of that people will try to shoulder you aside even though you have stood patiently at the stop the way that it used to be.
    You're not wrong, but I don't ever remember a time in the last 15 years that people queued in an orderly fashion for a Dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I remember BÉ running a short lived ad campaign about bus stop etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

It is because certain stops are served by many routes so you cant queue as some people may be waiting on one route while others may be waiting on a different route eg. some people waiting on a 46a others waiting on 145.
    Sometimes people can take several routes and have to wait between stops as they may not know what route will come first.Also with prepaid tickets certain passengers are getting on the bus on the right with cash paying passengers boarding on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

People no longer form an orderly queue because some are paying in coins, some showing their welfare card and other with the prepaid ticket

Why would you form an orderly queue when there is 3 different ways of paying for the bus. Waiting for everyone to go one by one would take for ever.

Plus I hate hate waiting behind the old person who looks at least 95 years old making sure the bus driver sees free travel card. Like hello he isn't going be thinking is she 45 and avoiding the fare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

PMSL at the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

What annoys me is all the people waiting for buses in the city center completely blocking the footpaths and oblivious to any one who wants to pass. The bus stops along side Trinity near Dame Street / Grafton Street in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Plus the tosser who pushes to get on the DART before the passengers have alighted.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Plus the tosser who pushes to get on the DART before the passengers have alighted.

I do hate people who do that but what really annoys me is the twat who waits ages before getting up from his seat after all the other passengers have gotten off and then barges his way of the train through all the people who have started to get on because they think everyone has gotten off.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

People no longer form an orderly queue because some are paying in coins, some showing their welfare card and other with the prepaid ticket

Why would you form an orderly queue when there is 3 different ways of paying for the bus. Waiting for everyone to go one by one would take for ever.

Plus I hate hate waiting behind the old person who looks at least 95 years old making sure the bus driver sees free travel card. Like hello he isn't going be thinking is she 45 and avoiding the fare

That is reason not to form a queue. If paying cash you keep to the left – if using a ticket or pass you keep to the right. Each passenger is equal.

The "95 year old" is entitled to respect and your patience. Do you feel that it is OK to push your way past him, such aggression is simply rude.

• Advertisement

That is reason not to form a queue. If paying cash you keep to the left – if using a ticket or pass you keep to the right. Each passenger is equal.

The "95 year old" is entitled to respect and your patience. Do you feel that it is OK to push your way past him, such aggression is simply rude.

The 95 year old may be entitled to respect and patience and it is rude to push past him however it works both ways if the 95 year old runs up to the stop just as the bus pulls in he does not have to right to push other passengers out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

mostly seems to be Dublin people are talking about. What's the rest of the Country like for manners?

I believe I'm right to say that queuing only really became the norm during WW2 and was little known before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Years ago there would always be a conductor who would happily tell people they were not getting on his bus until they learned some manners and formed two Q's. Not many would argue with the conductor at 5.30pm on a cold wet wintry Saturday afternoon in November or December while they were loaded down with half their Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't understand the obsession with getting a seat. It's understandable if one is elderly, pregnant or may have a medical condition but for the majority of passengers it's unnecessary. It's not like getting a bus in India where you may be on board for the next 36 hours. I usually wait until everyone else has got on before boarding - much less hassle.
    I hate waiting behind the old person who looks at least 95 years old making sure the bus driver sees free travel card. Like hello he isn't going be thinking is she 45 and avoiding the fare
    They are simply following the Travel Scheme regulations. They are required to present their pass. The driver' opinion regarding their age is irrelevant.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    What annoys me is all the people waiting for buses in the city center completely blocking the footpaths.....
    ....and those silly cycle tracks which are routed in front of the bus stop/shelter (and which the cyclist is legally obliged to use!).

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

PMSL at the title.

I've been trying to figure out what this post means. It makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

My favourite is at my local bus shelter, you'd often see regulars waiting for a certain bus at the same time each morning, most of whom are polite and will try and let the people who have been waiting the longest on first within reason, except for the massive plum who regularly arrives last and stands in the prime spot for boarding first (blocking the footpath for people who want to pass by and blocking most people already in the shelter)

I've been trying to figure out what this post means. It makes no sense to me.
    It's what the not very bright post when they've nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

corktina wrote: »
    mostly seems to be Dublin people are talking about. What's the rest of the Country like for manners?

Ah Friday evenings queuing for Bus Éireann in Galway.

Not like Limerick with their wide open spaces and dedicated parking spaces.

In Galway you queued on a narrow footpath while people fought to get past with their luggage

When the old style luggage doors were to be opened it was a struggle to get people to stand back.

You queue for 20 minutes as it's Friday evening and hundreds if not thousands of students are getting buses and unlike JJ Kavanaghs, BE will not let you stand.
    If you are meek you wait another hour.

Elderly old dears were not so frail, they go to the top of the queue and you get a razor sharp elbow in the ribs if you don't shift

Tourists mixing up Cork and Gort and the drivers shouting at them to go to the bus behind

Wily students knowing full well the difference between Cork and Gort and buying cheap tickets ;)
    If caught in Limerick you just say the person in Galway sold you the wrong ticket. Don't understand my Cork accent boi

Good times :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There was never really any queueing. I've never seen any. Nor has my dad. He's mentioned to me before back in the 70's/early 80's here used to be more people waiting at stops than the bus could take, when it came to rush hours for work. If you think its bad how people merge on now, most of what I notice is just a slow filtering into the bus. Back then people used to really force themselves on according to him.

most of what I notice is just a slow filtering into the bus. Back then people used to really force themselves on according to him.
    Yes but that was in the era of conductors so passengers simply stepped on board and went straight to a seat. There was no interaction with the driver/ticket/scan machines. That's why it was faster then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

if the 95 year old runs up to the stop just as the bus pulls in he does not have to right to push other passengers out of the way

In fairness, 95 year olds running up to stops is not a major problem, you could nearly let any who can manage it on the bus first.

Blocking footpaths is a problem, something that should be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They are simply following the Travel Scheme regulations. They are required to present their pass. The driver' opinion regarding their age is irrelevant.

this isn't true from my experience.
    lost count of the number of times I've seen people (alot of which don't even look 65) just shout at the driver "I've got a pass", and been let by without a word from the driver.

this isn't true from my experience.
    lost count of the number of times I've seen people (alot of which don't even look 65) just shout at the driver "I've got a pass", and been let by without a word from the driver.
    I said that they were required to present their pass. The fact that many don't do it is a different issue.

(...and one doesn't have to be an OAP to qualify for a travel pass.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

....and those silly cycle tracks which are routed in front of the bus stop/shelter (and which the cyclist is legally obliged to use!).

Ta ra Wishbone Ash....me Lords,Ladies And Gentlefolk...I give you the classic of the species....

Stop number 3018 opposite The Goat Pub......:o

I presume some executive in SDCC,DLR,Dublin Castle or Civic Offices got a bonus for this particular location....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=map&searchquery=%2853.292017,-6.228633,3018%29

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

seamus wrote: »
    You're not wrong, but I don't ever remember a time in the last 15 years that people queued in an orderly fashion for a Dublin bus.

You should pay a visit to Abbey St and the queue for the 130. It is a snake of remarkable order and beauty.

Try queuing at the zigzag northbound stop in Drumcondra. It's a fair old walk from the shelter to the kerb on a blind corner where you can't see approaching buses until late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The stop for the outbound 13/40/65/49 at College Green is terrible,not enough room for the passengers waiting for the bus or for the people walking on the paths.Chaos when a bus finally arrives and everyone surges to get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah Friday evenings queuing for Bus Éireann in Galway.

Not like Limerick with their wide open spaces and dedicated parking spaces.

In Galway you queued on a narrow footpath while people fought to get past with their luggage

When the old style luggage doors were to be opened it was a struggle to get people to stand back.

You queue for 20 minutes as it's Friday evening and hundreds if not thousands of students are getting buses and unlike JJ Kavanaghs, BE will not let you stand.
    If you are meek you wait another hour.

Elderly old dears were not so frail, they go to the top of the queue and you get a razor sharp elbow in the ribs if you don't shift............

I know this circus only too well. :(

And you left out people boarding the bus with cash in hand to buy their ticket on board (like you do everywhere elase en route) only to be told by the driver that they have to go to the ticket office and purchase it there, thus delaying the departure for another few minutes.

I can never understand this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 himperfect

I drove for dublin bus for a while and while queues did form at the stop ,they descended into chaos as soon as the bus appeared. the only exception to this was the 130 to clontarf which was a joy to behold, no pushing or shoving at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Roughly related to queuing for a bus...the 13/40/59/65B and 27/56A/77A/151 on College Green/Dame Street stop debacle. Is there any idea when it is going to sort itself out?

They look like they're swapping over, the Tallaght buses down towards Habitat/A&F and the 13/40 to outside the Ulster Bank. Meanwhile the path is being relaid.

At the moment, there is complete and utter confusion. Some buses stop where they used to, some don't and for the last buses, there's people walking into oncoming traffic to stop buses in their old stops or racing after them and across Church Lane to their temporary ones.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Queueing for buses is pointless. There are a number of different ways to pay for one, secondly a number of different buses serve the same stops, and thirdly buses rarely actually pull up right beside the bus stop pole.

With such a situation you could easily have 10 or more queues at different bus stops if you were to sort people by route and fare.

Advertisement